PowerFlex 525- CompactLogix Tags does not include Output Current of the Drive.

Good Morning ,

I am working on a project with some PowerFlex 525 drives. I am using CompactLogix 1769-L18. I took notice that the tags that populated in the PLC does not include Actual Current. I am surprized that it does not . Is there a way you can capture the actual current that the motor is driving from the drive , thru ethernet ?

Thanks so much in advance ,

I think when you add the drive to your IO tree and you get the New Module window, on the first tab (General) if you click the Change button it will give you the ability to add the current to the tag that is created.

Last edited:
I'm not that familiar with 525 drives? Do they support datalinks? That's one way. Or you can use explicit messaging, I believe.

like Archie said, you can add the tag when creating the device.

also, you can add the tag offline, then going back online will prompt the change/download dialog

Thanks for the information. I never took notice of that before. So while offline I select what information from the dropdowns , and check " Display as Tag Members " and then I download to the processor , correct ? Then when I go into "Controller Tags" , they should be listed in the same tag list under that drive ?

Thanks ,

I just did it , and they are not in that drive tag list. This what what I did....

-I opened properties for that PowerFlex 525. Clicked "Change".
-Selected Output Current , DC Bus , and Output Voltage. Checked "Display as Tag Members. Clicked OK. Saved.
-Downloaded to processor. Went back into run . Drilled down into the Drive Input Tags , and they are no where in sight . I opened the drive properties while online and the dropdown list boxes , that I selected , say disabled .

What do you think I did wrong ?

Thanks in advance for your help .

When you made the change and pressed OK, you should have had a dialog box pop-up that says" These changes will cause module data types and properties to change. -I/O parameter selections. Change module definition?" You have to press "Yes".

Sorry. I had the RS Logix 5000 not full screen and did not see the OK on the properties window , I just closed the window with X. Those tags are now in the tag list.

But now I cannot communicate with Drive. Now I have this fault on this drive...

( Code 16#0110 ) Connection Request Error. Module Not Configured .

What in the world caused this ? :) I thought I just added these tags .

I'm sorry. I'm a idiot. I went offline then seen the option to download. Now it comes up saying that the drive is V. 5.001 and the project is 4.001 and that they may be errors if I download.

You lost communication with the drive because the PLC configuration no longer matches the drive configuration...

In the PLC, you just set the first Input Datalink to be "Output Current", but on the drive, it's still set to "Nothing".

If you update that parameter on the drive, you'll be away.

There are probably several ways of doing it - from the PLC, from the drive itself, from CCW, but the important thing is that, however you achieve it, the parameters in the drive match your PLC configuration exactly