COMMUNICATION PLC to VFD?

macub3x010101

Hi all, Im a novice here, I would like to know how can I connect the VFD to PLC, I know how to wire VFD from PLC but my problem is. HOW to program the VFD to PLC to read or to set frequency something like . ? WHAT parameters should used ? anyone can enlighten me to this matter . Thanks :)

What PLC? What VFD?

I'm sure there will be plenty of people here to help, but I think you might want to be a little more specific to your needs.

Connect to the VFD via RS485. Protocol is Modbus. You don't need to program the VFD. Modbus is built-in. Just use the PLC to read Modbus registers, and send Modbus commands.
The Modbus addresses are usually near the end of the VFD manual.

Search this forum for "Modbus VFD" for more info. Here's a good link to start.

On the VFD If a Yaskawa or Powerflex you have to tell it what protocol you are using
Mod-bus or analog .. But Keith is correct the manual spells it out .. The Registers are not hard to understand just different.

As you can see - just from the amount of information that keithkyll provides with his link, "It's NEVER as simple as you hope!"

I setup my first one with a Yaskawa V1000 Using a MicoLogix1100 DF1 to and AIC module then from it Modbus to the Drive .. Same with the Powerflex.. The message instructions were kinda of a troublesome item for a few hours but once i understood the first one the rest fell into place..

Or you simply can use plc outputs to start and stop it, plus give direction. PLC inputs to monitor running and fault conditions.

It looks like he understands how to do that.. but he is trying to control the speed is what it sounds like .. Which he could also do using analog or the speed reference inputs but controlling the speed via the network is better .. it allows for more options. Plus you can control every function over 3 wire and get exact alarms back not just a general alarm .. RS485 is way better option.