How to connect to a slc500 1747-l40c plc

gking

G
I am new to this. I have a slc500 1747-l40c plc, and do not know how to connect to the dh-485 port on it. Can i use a straight cat5 cable and my network card on my pc?

This DH-485 PIC box will it work with just my Linksys network card or will I have to have another card installed on my PC? I have read other posts where people claim to have used a cat5 straight through cable to connect to the 1747-L40C fixed controller, but I never heard what type of hardware they had on their PC.

No - the PIC connects directly to your TRUE serial port. Search the forum for some of the issues with the PIC box (it is old technology and doesn't always play nice with newer computers).

The other option (I have not tried it, but others here recommend it highly) is the 1747-UIC which connects to DH-485 from your USB port.

Marc

OOPS!!

This 1747-L40C controller I keep speaking about was purchased off Ebay. When I got it and powered it up the fault light was flashing. I have heard that it could be everthing from no program to a bad processor. So I am a little too anxious to get it connected. yesterday I plugged my cat5 cable into it and my computer, and saw nothing happen. Then i noticed a hot electrical smell, no smoke, just a smell. After investigating I found the location to be from behind my PC. Network card still works, Hope I did'nt screw something else up.

<ugh>

Don't ever connect an ethernet port to a DH-485 port. If your ethernet card still works, you got *VERY* lucky. Usually it blows the network card out.

If you want to use a PCMCIA solution, you will need to use a 1784-PCMK card. If your computer has a true, 9 pin, d-sub serial connector, you can use the PIC module. B&B electronics sells an alternative for a few $$ less than AB, which may be worth checking out. I picked one up, and it works good. Model 232ABRJ45. Although the PIC/B&B solution can work with some PCMCIA or USB to serial adapters, I don't recommend it, as it seems fairly random from system to system as to which ones work, and which don't.

Do you have a copy of RS-Logix 500? There are no third party alternatives for development software.

Finally, what OS are you using? If it is an NT based version of windows (NT, 2000, or XP) RSLinx will replace your serial driver if you go with the PIC/B&B approach. This is because the timing requirements on the DH-485 network are so tight, that a standard serial driver is unable to meet the packet timouts. A custom serial driver handles the timing between packets and keeps the link active. The downside is that if you have the PIC driver loaded, your serial port is captured, and cannot be used for anything else until it is unloaded.

Hope this helps!

--Joe Jansen

I'm running on windows 2000, and I have rslogix 500 pro. I am currently going to school to get an electrical technology degree. I have had a beginner plc class, and I am taking the advanced class. I really enjoy working with PLC's that is why I have made a small investment in hardware.

gking

This port on L40 is not a network card: it called DH-485 and has 24 VDC on some pins.
You will be lucky if you did not kill the port on your computer or SLC power supply.

I have seen a lot of SLCs from EBAY with DH485 ports damaged by plugging to a network card.

If you want people to help you please read what people are telling you.

You need:
- 1747-PIC and computer with real serial port. USB-to-serial will not work
- 1747-UIC if you have no serial port
- PCMK card with correct cable.

There are a couple more options but they will probably cost even more.
Buy another AB PLC that has DH485 and a serial port.
If you are using a desktop and not a laptop a 1770-KF3 will work.
1747-AIC with a 1784-PCM4 cable will work.
1767-NET-AIC will connect a PC serial port to DH-485

This list shows all the interfaces for use with DH485:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/214372/1535907/3499168/

This gives an overview of DH485:
http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/214372/1535907/3404063/

I know that my PC network card still works,(or I would not be able to make these posts!!)but is there a way to test the L40 to see if I damaged it. Contr_Conn, I had made my OOPS! before I decided to post here. "Always The Hard Way!!"

I have an L40 sitting right beside me, they are very durable, this one failed in a machine but I have it working again. I have a PIC and use this as a test system. I would (and will) get the UIC adapter though.

If you are planning to learn on AB plcs then you may want to consider purchasing a new MicroLogix 1000, I believe the base price is $99 US, maybe cheaper in UK or Europe. The ML1000 will work with DF1 or DH485 so you dont need an adapter (1761-CBL-PM02 cable) to program it but they recommend having an AIC as the optical isolator. AB even provides the RSLogix for free.
http://www.ab.com/plclogic/micrologix/1000/

If the fault lights etc are still working its a good chance the L40 is ok.