Uploading

nixtootec

Hello all, I have never had the pleasure of doing any kind of work with PLC before and now it looks like I am gonna get my chance. :). They (managers) want to upload a piece of Sw from a CD to one of our machines from a laptops. Is there anything I have to do specifically to upload or is it more menu driven. I know this is vague but I have not even seen the machine or where I am supposed to plug the cable in so any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

That is really really vague, I suggest you find out what the type of PLC it is, what software you need to connect to it and what it is they want to upload to it and then post any questions you might have. Can't really help you until we have some more information.

upload

Could you tell me if it is possible for any version of PLC to upload using telnet or hyperterminal or any other such windows type application or are they mostly all uploaded via special type of SW. Yeah I know vague sorry about that but that is all I have managed to get so far. Oh and just for a laugh they want me to do this tomorrow.. funny huh

As a young maintenance electrician fairly new to PLC programming (1 year), and a member of my plant safety commitee, I would recommend that you inform your bosses that maybe they should bring in an experienced contractor to do the job if it's that urgent, OR give you enough time to aquire the software, cables, and knowledge to do the job properly.

Just watching your back for you, sounds like a disaster in the making.

You are going to need special software and cabling.

Where in WI are you? Depending on the PLC, I may be able to help you out.
I can PM you my phone number if you like.

I gotta agree with Vetteboy on this, it's sounding like they want you to do something which no one there really knows anything about. Your better off getting someone in there who knows what they are doing. I'm sure you bosses were looking for a cheap and fast way to do this but it isn't going to happen. Your more likely to mess something up, or worse injure yourself or someone else than to get the results you are looking for. Get someone in there that knows what they are doing.

Assuming you can't hire Rick to bail you out, I strongly suggest that you don't do this on your own. The task isn't particularly difficult, but you do need some expertise in industrial controls, some software, and probably some special cables. If you screw up you can damage a machine, loose the program entirely, or injure yourself or another. Industrial controls is not amature hour. Many of us here learned on our own, but in my own case I did it incrementally and coming from an engineering background where I could make the learning increments in controlled steps.

I think you should either subcontract to a system integrator or another automation contractor, or at the very least contact the local representative for the PLC brand that you are going to work with. They can give you some assistance and training.