intellution and SLC

davep123

D
Hi,
I have 4 PLCs SLC5/05 talking on ethernet and to Intellution scada already setup. i wan't to have a remote intellution view node through ethernet. will i need RSLinx for that?

davep123 said:
Hi,
I have 4 PLCs SLC5/05 talking on ethernet and to Intellution scada already setup. i wan't to have a remote intellution view node through ethernet. will i need RSLinx for that?

Short answer, no. You've already got a nice running system. Another view node will simply access and view, through the ethernet, what resides on the existing scada server.

Arrowpilot is correct. The scada reads and writes the PLC data to the Scada database via rslinx, then the view nodes read and write to the scada database via ethernet.
You will have to read the manuals though, you will need to change a few settings on the existing system to make it a network scada vs standalone.
Its been a while since I did this, but I believe your going to have to edit the hosts file on each machine also.

Ken

hi,
thank your for your answers. the scada is already configured for network and hosts file are sure to be updated manually to include the additional view node.
however i have view node already looking at 2 different scada computers for information from about 100 bristol babcock rtus.
do i need ab drivers and rslinx yet. because for bristol network we need their communication software netview(just like rslinx) running on view node. we also require driver for bristol to be installed on view node.

appreciated

NO. If the SCADA nodes are already comminucating with the Bristol RTU's then the view
nodes will get there data from the SCADA nodes.If you need to communicate directly to the Bristol RTU's
with the view nodes then they are no longer view nodes they are SCADA nodes.I'm getting confused.

davep123 said:
hi,
thank your for your answers. the scada is already configured for network and hosts file are sure to be updated manually to include the additional view node.
however i have view node already looking at 2 different scada computers for information from about 100 bristol babcock rtus.
do i need ab drivers and rslinx yet. because for bristol network we need their communication software netview(just like rslinx) running on view node. we also require driver for bristol to be installed on view node.

appreciated
A true iFIX "view" node should strictly be looking at the master scada- or whatever node/server is holding the process database. as long as it is pointing to the server with the database you would need no AB drivers. The Bristol Netview and any associated drivers such as BR-3 or OPC is really no different than RSLinx- an interface to get data from the RTU's to FIX. It sounds like the viewnode you mention is actually communicating with some of the RTU's, hence requiring Netview and a driver. Again- to just view what aready resides in the HMI database you would not need any more AB comms.
mike

View Node Configuration

Just to clarify what others have said, what you need to do on the SCADA and VIEW SCU is to enable networking (TCP/IP or NetBIOS), and enter the appropriate node names, like so:

[attachment]

Then, when the View node comes across a tag such as Fix32.SCADA.MyTAG.F_CV, it will know which node (in this case, the node called "SCADA" has the tag in its database.

Actually, the example I show (for the SCADA node) is probably incorrect. Only node that need to locate other node names will need to have networking enabled. If the screens on either SCADA node do not need to read tags from the other SCADA node, then I don't beleive that they will need comm with the View Node. You would only need to set up the name of your SCADA node on the View node's SCU.
(I think - I'm running on Demo mode right now, which doesn't actually support networking, so I cna't test it).

On the View node SCU, make sure that SCADA support is DISABLED (PLC connection will disappear)

plcs.net.jpg

Last edited:
thanks all of you gentlemen

let me try to clarify more. i have 2 full fledged scada nodes running on bristol. now i have one more scada node with allenbradley and all using intellution 6 or 7. i have bunch of view computers and i can easily add all the bristol scada to this view node. i only have problem when i add the allenbradley scada computer. it gives me this message. node node identified on remote database.
i have added the hosts file and am familiar of editting the hosts file which is generally required when you add a view node. i imported all the graphics, database, etc on my view node computer. i am even not able to open database for allenbradley scada. i am able to open database for bristols.
has it to do with the ab driver or rslinx?

Since you mentioned ver 6 or 7, I assume you are using FIX32 vs iFix.
For any SCADA node to access an Allen-Bradley PLC via ethernet you are going to need RSLinx OEM, or single node and the ABR driver from Intellution installed on the SCADA. View nodes can view any SCADA on the system without any drivers.
Sounds like you need to alter the SCADA setup to include the view nodes. You should read up on the networking section of the manuals.
Your local Intellution dealear should be able to help you out also.

Intellution has a reverse engineered driver for Allen-Bradley that does away with the RSLinx requirement, but they only support it with iFix, not Fix32.

thank you all gentlement for your efforts.
i could communicate with the ab plc scada. the problem was with net bios as protocol and computer name wrong in the hosts file.

once again thank you