Protool V6.0 Data Format

Gary Long

Currently we are writing values into KY format and using both Data Right and Data Left for displays on our current OP30A. It is simple to do using comgraph. We are upgrading to an MP370 using protool v6.0. We are trying to configure a tag with type KY and we are having difficulties finding an option to select Data Left and Data Right. What are we missing!

Any help will be appreciated

I see that you haven't had any response and have also posted on control.com.

I wondered if that might be because people are not sure, like me, what KY format was. I was wondering if it might be some peculiarity of the OP30A and went digging through the ProTool Help files, where I discovered it's an S5 data format.

I think if you'ld made it clearer that it was S5, you might have had some answers by now.

Are you listening Paul? :D

If I understand you right, you are talking about the left and right byte in a dataword.

It appears that you are out of luck.
When S5-AS511 is selected as protocol, Protool will only allow you to define tags with BITs, WORDs or DWORDs - not BYTEs.

I don't know anything about what the protocol does to it, but according to the help files "KY - 2 x 8 Bit separated by a comma" is a permitted format for Input and Output fields, so it looks as though it ought to be possible somehow.

On the page of "Permitted Data types for S5" there's a footnote which says (more or less) that the appearance on the screen is defined by the "Appearance" (Darstellung) setting in the properties box for the object. The question is if you've told ProTool that you're working with S5, is Data left/Data right a possible property - i.e. do the possible properties vary according to target PLC?

.. if you've told ProTool that you're working with S5, is Data left/Data right a possible property - i.e. do the possible properties vary according to target PLC
If "S5 - AS511" is selected as protocol, then you cannot select any datatype with BYTE width.
If you select KY as datatype, then it must be a DB.DW or MW address.
There is no place to select "left" or "right" bytes.

RMA said:

Are you listening Paul? :D

I was listening Roy, honest!

I know what KY format is. KY is a constant of 2 bytes, 0 to 255 for each byte unlike a FY which is a flag byte.

Gary

Going on what Jesper and Roy have posted, you obviously can't access the individual bytes of a KY, is there any scope to change the program in the S5 and write your constant value (0 to 255) to a complete word, so that this can be read in by the MP370?

For example:-

L KY 200,250
T DW10

Is probably what you have at the moment, could you possibly change this to:-

L KF +200
T DW10
L KF +250
T DW12

I know that this will double the length of the datablock used, so this will depend on how many words you have available, but it might be the only way around the problem of not being able to read a byte from a S5.

Paul

Right, he wants to upgrade from an OP30A to MP370.

It's just that there are subtle differences within Protool when you select various devices. The older OPx5 panels seems to be more aimed at the S5 than the never OP/MPs.