Data Point Logging

shoeman

I am new to the PLC world, so if this is dumb or simple, I apologize. I have an application where I want to install a temp probe to monitor sanitization temperature. I would like to get a time temp curve into something for documentation purposes. I am using a PLC5. Is there a way to get this out via excel, or a flat text file? In a DCS I would start a logger, or use a trend template. What are my options? Thanks in advance.

Aaaah, my favorite thing to do!

You can use DDE links in excel to bring in data from your PLC through RSLinx. Just go look up DDE in Excel help to find out the format. Then you'll need to write an Excel macro to update the DDE information when you want to and store it elsewhere in your spreadsheet in table form. If you look up DDE in RSLinx help, you'll find some other ways to create DDE links in Excel, though these will be a bit more technical in nature.

To timestamp you data, use the Now() function in excel and format the cell(s) as time units.

Give it a try and see what you can do. If you have trouble, I'd be willing to look at your macro or let you use one of mine as an example.

You can configure OPC topics in Excel to view the data. But, you're going to need VBA code on top of that to do anything really fancy with the data.

Your other option is to fork over the money for a software package that already has the data logging features you're looking for. The prices can range from minimal to criminal.

AK

Edit: I mispoke a little. Excel prefers to display DDE data by default. But, you'll probably use OPC if you write VBA code.

Last edited: