protool & PLC Sim (siemens)

I have been using PLCSIM v5.2 with hotfix 1 in conjunction with S7 V5.2 SP1.. it works very nicely. I have not yet been able to make my Protool see the simulated PLC (protool is V6.0 SP2), I know it can be done and obviously I am doing something wrong in the configuration or setup. The projects I have are all up and running as commissioned jobs so there is nothing wrong with them, they are integrated.
Probably I have to change some addressing or configuration to run on simulation.
I know what I am doing for the most part (except after many beers)and I am not a "newbie" to Siemens.. I haven't actually spent very much time in investigating how to do this and being a commissioning engineer I am used to asking someone else to help me out as I find it quicker and more informative than trying to locate all the right manuals.
If any of you chaps can give me some pointers or basic rules.. I would be very grateful.

regards
Richard Christian

I have:
Step 7 5.2 SP1
Protool CS V6.0
Protool RT V6.0 SP2
S7 PLCSIM V5.2 HF 1
All authorised.

If your Protool project is in the Step7 Simantic Manager, you are close. In STep7, check the PLC CPU configuration. My guess is, you left the default as "Not Networked" in the MPI network selection. There should be a MPI network, make a new one if needed. Connect to that network, SAVE and COMPILE. Open the Protool Ap and under "Controllers" connect to the Network. You will notice the PLC area will now gray out. When creating tags, put the "with symbols" check box ON and you should be able to browse the PLC tags. You may try under "EDIT" click on "Restore Symbols". The will "auto majiccally" connect to tags, if they are the same name. When inserting tags in Staep 7 and causing your tags to shift from their original address, the "Restore Symbols" will re-attach them, by tag name. NICE feature.

protool & sim

Hi

Thanks RRobbins, I have a got a bit further..but not quite all the way.
I have linked Protool with the network, I have been able to restore tags etc
..but whenI run RunTime there is still no comms, it doesn't see any change in state.
I must be a gnats **** away from getting it right. I have tried restoring an old into new.. also writing a new Protool (just one input graphic) all appears to be okay, compiles, downloads, no errors etc... but when I run Runtime.. I get no connection. I am scratching my head trying to see what I am doing wrong.. can't see the wood from the trees.
I know it's difficult to give advice from a distance.. if you have any other ideas or suggestions, obviously I would be more than grateful :)

regards
Richard

protool

don't run runtime as an external application . run "TEST-->RUNTIME" , it will compile if not previously done so , and run . don't forget to change the MPI address of the protool PLC Node to one matching the processor in PLC Sim .
Nice and sexy at last Siemens , saving me loads of time on site with the application - I had forgotten to tag up some PID terms (forgiveable maybe , there are 18 loops) , and I found them .

Richard,

Also- when you go to runtime in Protool your PG/PC interface changes to whatever network the OP is on. Also your PG address changes to the OP address- Look at the PG/PC interface.

Is this display on profibus or MPI?

Nevermind- I just set up a test network to PLCSim and Protool (without my 5511) and it works fine. My previous post is only valid if connected to a real CPU and real network.

A few more things. I noticed your RT is v6.0 SP2 but your CS is ver 60. I don't know if that should be the same. Also, when you set up your PLC, OP and your PC, I am assuming you are using different addresses. Your default address for the PC is 0, look in PG/PC interfaces. Your OP should be 1 and your PLC should be 2. The OP config will "bark" at you if there is a problem with the PLC/OP address, but not the PC's address. Make sure ALL have the same baud rate and different MPI address's

Never had any problems with simultanous online access to PLC-SIM from STEP7 and Protool RT.

Protool do not have to be integrated into STEP7.

One thing to check:
The MPI address of the CPU in PLC-SIM must match the one setup in Protool:
PLC-SIM ... PLC ... MPI Address...
Protool ... Controllers ... Parameters ... Communication peer

edit: Your post "I have linked Protool with the network" seems to indicate that you are communicating over Profibus. I believe that PLC-SIM will only connect to Protool RT via MPI.

Last edited:
No- I tried the connection of the OP over profibus and it works fine with PLCSim. I assumed the PLC address and PLCSim matched because he wouldnt be able to download his PLC program to PLCSim if it didnt.

Also- If you integrate the OP with Step7 once you connect the OP in Protool- the PLC address will be "grayed" out because it already knows its address. Its always a good idea to keep it integrated.

Jay

siemens protool sim

I am really grateful for all your input guys, it's all valuable stuff.

I haven't quite cracked the problem yet, but with all your advice I should get it soon. I am going to sit down for a few hours tonight and start from the beginning and try to find out what I am doing wrong.
If I don't get it.. I will have all the facts so as to try to elliminate my problem methodically.
I'll keep you posted later tonight or tomorrow.

Really appreciate your input

lets try ethernet

Well , it hadn't occured to me to mess with the protocol , but since my simulated project has an ethernet card , and i have run with a real processor and protool RT , lets see if it will work with Sim , I'll obey the rules re IP address and gateway etc , but I got a funny feeling in my casing that it might work..........
For what it is worth , I am running a P4 2.8 gigahurdle laptop with 500 M ram , and it is easily running PT pro + RT + PLC SIM+ Simantic Mangler + MS Office junk , and it is not hanging up , running PT 6.0 Sp2 + S7 5.3 , not a lot of trouble with performance (yet) , maybe the Siemens guys are over estimating it a bit (wait for the cat )

Last edited:
It works...

:D
Congratulation Guys... you got it working for me!!
Got it all singing and dancing... fantastic.
My (main) mistake was not doing the save and compile correctly in NetPro (exactly as RRobbins said :) )

Really very much appreciated.. all the advice from everyone helped.

kind regards
Richard Christian

Not sure that you need to add an MPI network as it is the default network anyway - I have only Profibus and ethernet as configured networks , yet can still access the MPI network with RT - it may be that you didn't compile the hardware at all .
The important thing is that it works !!
Why not dice with death and set up a new project from scratch and try making a connection before you compile the hardware , see if it works , if not , compile it and see if it makes a difference .

How to configure the communication settings for PLC SIM v5.4

I am trying to learn S7 and using a PLC Sim v5.4 and S7lite edition for practising.I am having difficulties setting up the PLC Sim configuration. Apparently my logic is not equal. Can someone please provide a step by step guide on how to connect via PLC Sim to S7 lite edition. Thanks