PLC Degree?

boxhead

Hi,
I was wondering if there is a degree or Diploma that can be done at University that deals in mainly PLC operation and programming and maybe SCADA ( Citect ). Any advice from the forum would be appreciated as i am am Electrician with some PLC knowledge but i wish to further my studies and find plc's, citect interesting.

Cheers

Corey

Hello,

Here in europe you can follow PLC courses but there is no university where you can get a degree in PLC programming. In the degree Master in automation, there is a small part of the course that handles PLC programming but it's not what you're looking for.

Normaly you follow some courses which are organised by the PLC company or you can study it by yourself.

Rudi

boxhead,

Here in the U.S., there are many Technical Colleges that offer courses in PLCs, although I have yet to see one that has a degree specifically for PLCs. Some of them may even have on-line courses via computer that you can take.

It would be very hard to be a specalist on every brand of PLC 'out there'. There are definately a few on this board.

How far is your Community College? It is a start. It also depends sooo much on your instructor.

In 'PLC 1', I sat beside an idividual who was coming out of retirement and getting ready to teach PLC/Automation to full time students the following year. I became classmates with this person, and looked at his lab/classrooms on the other side of campus. I'm sure math was more 'focused on' for those 1st year students. Would not hurt them.

That is how life is, your interest needs an opportunity. Experience will bring opportunity.

Johnny

Bad idea.

There is nothing wrong in learning more about PLCs, but you must realize that PLCs are just a tool that will become obsolete and your knowledge with it. That would be a waste of time and money.
If a university did offer a degree is PLCs, I would consider this a crime against the students. One should learn things that will valid forever in college.

Training

Hi Peter
So what would you suggest? Maybe a degree in process plant automation etc? I appreciate your advice but you gave no other alternatives?

I am an Electrician and i work in a Coal Prep Plant with the whole place run by PLC's and controlled via citect, so this is why i was choosing to try and find a course to study that would relate to my workplace. Also the company will assist with any training i wish to do.

As i said i appreciate all suggestions.

Cheers

Corey

With respect to Citect, they run courses in all capital cities at many levels. There is also a crowd in Melbourne that run Citect and PLC courses. I will see if I have any information on them. Usually just delete the e-mails they send me - have advanced way beyond what they teach.

Most TAFE colleges teach PLC programming. Start with the starter course and work your way up. You will only learn to program what the TAFE colege has unfortunately.

PLC manufacturers run training courses in all capital cities but, once again, they are generally pretty basic and brand specific. THEY ALL WANT TO FLOG YOU THEIR PLCS. I used to sell PLCs for years (several brands) and know just about every marketing trick you can name, even the dishonest ones.

The University Of Technology in Sydney used to have a very good 2 year progarmming course. 2 nights a week. Covered all sorts of maths, PID, Feed Forward etc etc. Trouble was only one brand of PLC that had a very short instruction set. Also decided 15 years ago that ladder "was for the birds". Taught everything else.

The biggest objection I had was that the teacher was a "flogger" for the brand of PLC that was used in the University. Talk about a clash of interests. Left the course after 2 nights and went and did a management course instead.

Not trying to put you off but be careful. Check with the TAFE and Universities to find out what is available. The biggest problem I see for you is that you appear to be in a remote location and there is probably not much in the vacinity. I can only suggest you check thoroughly as there may be some postal type courses. Pretty hard though wothout a PLC and SCADA system t play with.

Best of luck.

Oh by the way, they all charge appropriately!!!!

Since formal training may not be available to you. Here is a possible work around. I'm a former US Navy guy, thier method of training (at the time) was to teach you how to read a tech manual and problem solving skills, the rest you learned out in the fleet.

So....
If your employer will assist you in the cost, (or maybe you already have some spares) you could obtain one of the plc training books, or cd-rom courses, and then obtain a test plc that you can "play around with". Everyone here will assist you if you encounter any major difficutlties.

Just a thought.

Ken Moore said:
Since formal training may not be available to you. Here is a possible work around. I'm a former US Navy guy, thier method of training (at the time) was to teach you how to read a tech manual and problem solving skills, the rest you learned out in the fleet.

So....
If your employer will assist you in the cost, (or maybe you already have some spares) you could obtain one of the plc training books, or cd-rom courses, and then obtain a test plc that you can "play around with". Everyone here will assist you if you encounter any major difficutlties.

Just a thought.

This may be his most viable option...

Physics?

I know Physics, we all do to some extent...I don't think that makes my employment future secure. Might as well told him to look into nursing or something.