Analog I/o

eng_muslim

al salam alikum:

can any one pls give an short introduction on analog I/O modules is it so differ than digital one,i am a beginnner

thnx in advance

Analouge I/O

Eng Muslim
Analouge I/O modules as it's appear from the name is a modules which can deals with analoge signals.
-Analouge input signals types are either current or volt or signals from thermocouples or RTD.
-Analouge output signal types are also volt or ampere.
-commonly used analouge signals are 0-20 mA,4-20mA,0-10V,1-5V .
-Analouge input signals such as transmitters(pressure,Temperature,current....etc)
-Anlouge output signal such as the output to a valve actuator ,referance signal to VSD..........etc
-Analouge input modules should have A/D converter to convert the signal from analoge to digital and send it to the processor.
-analoge output modules should have D/A converter to converet the received digital signal from the processor to analoge signal to the field.
-resolution of the A/D & D/A is an important parameter should be considered when selecting such modules.
I hope that you find this information useful.
BR

thnx

thnx alot hisham,but i think that A/d & D/A already installed in plc unit,or i have to buy one?
how long u workin in this field i am in 3rd yr electrical power dep. helwan univ.,i had a course in siemens s7 200 and inshallah will have another in s7 300 this summer,i think there is so much about plc's i don't know but i don't know how to get experience in automation field
thnx again

A/D

Ahmed
Yes,The A/D & D/A are already exist in the Analoge input& analoge output modules respectevly.
I have been in this field for 10 years now.
Practice and reading are the best ways to gain experience in this field.
Practice gives you all the tips you need
reading keep you up to date in a fast growing field.
BR

about experience,there is a company workin in LG Automation products i don't know if i go there and ask them for workin,i don't need any money but i also don't need more training i need to work or i go to take the course of s7 300?
can u give me an advise pls if u were in my situation

Walikom El salam

eng_muslim said:
i had a course in siemens s7 200 and inshallah will have another in s7 300 this summer,

Keep going Eng-Muslim, That is a very good start, If you are graduated from the university and know about S7200 and S7300 this will increase your credits alot.
Just let all your concentration -in your engineering life- about the right things and insha allah you will move forward and forward.

Every place I go I see fresh graduated Elect. engineers only give thier attention to things that may or may not help them in thier carrier,
For example: Matlab, Microcontrollers, MS project, Fuzzy Logic..

I didn't say that these things are not important , But I am trying to say that you should not spend your life trying to learn things that will never work with.
For example: A 24 years old Elect. engineer don't any thing about PLCs and spending his time learning MS project or premavera!!. That isn't realistic, He will never use such a program before thirty in most cases, and on the other hand, He will be asked everywhere he go:
- What do you know about PLCs?
- Do you have any experience with it?
- Which type?
and so on..

That was a very fast advise, I may come here again.

I hope I helped you.

Last edited:
Advice

Ahmed
My first advice for you is to concentrate very will in your study.try to understand what you learn don't make your main goal just to pass.
make a great attention to the concepts which you study .
Automation field is not an electrical, elctronic,control field only
you need knowlage in other fields like mechanices,physics, chemistry....etc so try to increase you knowlage in all the fields.
Courses is very usufull if it's linked with practice .theortical courses are not enough.
summer training is also very important you can go for any company which provide summer training .LG is not a must.
Wish you a good luck.

Teh A/D conversion exists in the analog input or output cards. However, the signal level will not be in engineering units, but rather in a data register assigned to each analog channel. The range of the register varies with each manufacturer and sometimes with each model I/O card.

For example, a 12-bit analog input card for 4-20 mA signals may have the data in the input register vary from 0-4095. You need to use math functions to convert this to engineering units such as pressure or flow rate.

project management

A 24 Elect. engineer don't any thing about PLCs and spending his time learning MS project or premavera!!.
ayman
you miss something,this things which you are talking about is really very important.you will not spend all your life programming plc's &Scada
once a day you will not be just an engineer in an automation department .you will reach other positions may be automation dept. manager or project manager.
Tell how could you be the project manager and you can't use Ms projects or premvira to plan to your project.
in my opinion successfull engineer in our field now adays needs some imprtant tools with him such as Word.Excel,autocad,primavera or Ms project,Visio
This tools is very very important indeed don't ignore you will need it.in other word programming plc ,scada, commissioning for inverters,dealing with instrumentation have the same importance as the above mentioned tools.
Ayman
Where are you working now?
BR

thnx 4 all

ayman it was very helpfull 4 me thanx alot i am with u engineer don't know plc's and scada very bad thing but also engineer don't know any thing about matlab very bad also,i know here we r not design so many things but also one day u will need it,thanx all i will tell u later about my progress,by the way i took courses in matlab and InTouch and that help me so much,ayman u really give me hope thanx to you and hisham too

Re: project management

ayman
you miss something,this things which you are talking about is really very important.you will not spend all your life programming plc's &Scada
once a day you will not be just an engineer in an automation department .you will reach other positions may be automation dept. manager or project manager.
Well hesam, I already said that these things I mentioned in my post are important (with bolded and underlined letters)

All that I am talking about is the TIMING .
A fresh graduated engineer should n't search for Ms project and Premavera courses, instead of this he should search for any "practical" related subjects (such PLCs, instrumentation, PC programming ..)
And when I spoke about PLCs, It was just an example. There are many other important things, But The time and money is limited (especially for freshers), So he should take care of the most important things in the beginnings of his life.

If he pass this stage sucessfully, he may take care of other "managment" stuff.

Tell how could you be the project manager and you can't use Ms projects or premvira to plan to your project.
I can't get a "project manager" position until both my "practical" and "managment" skills are good enough. I will repeat that Ms project and premvira are important tools but not for the fresh graduated engineers . Fresh graduated enginners won't get any job with "Ms project" or "premivara".

in my opinion successfull engineer in our field now adays needs some imprtant tools with him such as Word.Excel,autocad,primavera or Ms project,Visio
This tools is very very important indeed don't ignore you will need it.in other word programming plc ,scada, commissioning for inverters,dealing with instrumentation have the same importance as the above mentioned tools.
Word, Excel, Autocad, Visio >>> OK (regular tools, I assume that every Eng. use it)
instrumentation >>> OK (very important)
inverters >>> OK
primavera or Ms project >>> No (only if you are old enough (maybe 30 years old and also it depends, but not in the beginneng of your life)

I'll add more things that the good enginner should take care of:
- Fundamentals of Hydrouilics.
- Fundamentals of Penumatics.
- Fundamentals of Power electronics.
- Communication systems (interfaces, protocols, toplogys..)
- PLCs (of course)
- Low voltage installations.
- Automatic control.
- Power systems (production - Transfering - distribution)
- PC programming (Visual Basic or C - VBA - SQL - database programming - LabView for DAS ..)

Note that Iam talking about the fields of interest for an Autoamtion Engineer.

Ayman
Where are you working now?
I am working as a team leader for a very small system integrator company. (TRONiX Autoamtion)
Actually there two main technical persons in the company, Iam one of them and the other is my best friend (from the early high school days!)
Both of us do most of the technical work, starting from studing the offers and writing the technical proposals, finding the best soluations (hardware/software selection), programming, installation, commessioning, writing documentation, provide the required training ..etc.
Also, We povide "Training services" in the field of "instrumentation and control". I design the training tools and write the manuals and training materials and Iam also the instructor!.

As I told you: a very small company.

Yours
Ayman Metwally

Last edited:
Re: thnx 4 all

eng_muslim said:
ayman it was very helpfull 4 me thanx alot i am with u engineer don't know plc's and scada very bad thing but also engineer don't know any thing about matlab very bad also,i know here we r not design so many things but also one day u will need it,thanx all i will tell u later about my progress,by the way i took courses in matlab and InTouch and that help me so much,ayman u really give me hope thanx to you and hisham too

You are welcome Eng-muslim, and I can see that you are in the right track. It's OK learn Matlab but not for so long. It's OK, learn sny thing thst will do help you, but in the right time.

Yours

Ayman Metwally

Fresh graduated enginners won't get any job with "Ms project" or "premivara".[/QUOTE
The company I used to work for ,as soon as they tossed thier hat in the air they were project managers. They didn't even have to know
how to shave. But I'm just a technician so what do I know.( end rant)

ayman, when do you sleep ?

The company I used to work for ,as soon as they tossed thier hat in the air they were project managers. They didn't even have to know how to shave. But I'm just a technician so what do I know.( end rant)
Sorry, I didn't fully understand your words here!
But I'll stick to my openion :"Fresh graduated enginners won't get any job with "Ms project" or "premivara" at least here in my country.
And I don't think that any company -at any side of the world- will let a fresh graduated engineer to "manage" a project.

ayman, when do you sleep ?
most likley 11:30 p.m, so I can wake up early to pray.

And you? :D

Re: Re: project management

ayman metwally said:

Both of us do most of the technical work, starting from studing the offers and writing the technical proposals, finding the best soluations (hardware/software selection), programming, installation, commessioning, writing documentation, provide the required training ..etc.
Also, We povide "Training services" in the field of "instrumentation and control". I design the training tools and write the manuals and training materials and Iam also the instructor!.

As I told you: a very small company.

Yours
Ayman Metwally

can i have ur compnay no. pls may be i will get my CV and request for training this summer is it available?