Compactlogix

scott1873

I've managed to purchase a working allenbradley 5320 compact logix processor.
My questions are:
1)does logix 500 or 5000 work with this processor?
2) will this software work with windows xp (home computer)?(I take it i'll be using rs232 serial cable to communicate with it
3) does rs linx come supplied with the above mentioned software?
4) what is the cost of this software and where can you purchase it?
5) almost certainly the cost of this software will be high so are there any 'other' means of purchasing this software?

thanks

Scott

You are right that the cost of tooling up to use the Logix family is higher than most other control platforms. In A-B's view (and in mine, since the software pays my rent) the functionality of the Logix platform is worth the cost.

To use just the CompactLogix, you should get the "Mini Edition" of RSLogix 5000.

9324-RLD200ENE is the part number. $620 USD list price from any Rockwell distributor.

RSLinx Lite is included. You can use any null-modem serial cable to communicate.

The software isn't officially supported on Windows XP Home, but I've anecdotally heard of it working correctly on XP Home.

1) RSLogix5000 is the software needed for the Logix family of processors

2) Yes it should work with XP even SP2 with the latest patch.

3) RSLinx (Lite Version) should come with RSLogix. If not the lite version is a free download if I remember correctly.

4,5) I am not sure on the current cost and I would guess that "other" means of procuring the software do not exist other than maybe E-Bay?

To Ken,

do compactlogix have the full set of instruction as used by it's big brother, the contrologix?

is compactlogix the "future SLC500"?

CompactLogix vs ControlLogix

The major differences/restrictions are:

Less memory
Less I/0 options
Lower number of "connections" (ability to communicate with I/O, other processors)
Fewer tasks

The instruction set is pretty much constant throughout the ControlLogix range (I can't think of any offhand but maybe someone else has....... )

Don't forget you only can get either serial communication or etherenet comm to the PLC and Devicenet is the only supported remote i/o network. No DH+ or RIO cards are available. But I find it's more cost effective and easier to use that the SLC's and they are what I first sunk my teeth into.

LJBMatt; in the past few months Rockwell released 2 CompactLogix with ControlNet (the 32C and 35CR). I doubt that there'll ever be DH+/RIO as that's "last generation" (albeit with a considerable installed base).

Totally agree about cost efectiveness VS SLC. It obviously depends on what price you can get out of your distributor but unless you only need something like an 8K 5/03 and some 8-channel I/O I would expect CompactLogix to win on price most times. (Of course you'll have to factor-in buying a copy of Logix5000).

Having used the symbolic programming, tag aliasing, produced-consumed data, UDT's, multi-tasking, mult-language etc. etc. I find it hard to go back to the "old" style.