S5 115-U's op

G
I've a problem with a S5 115-U plc's OP its an old italian brand an at least broken now i should use another op. i've an OP7 i want to use it for this but it is the first time i'm working with an s5 i know S7s' i've step7 and protool software but i don't have Step5 software so on i cant communicate with PLC.

ý know the message bits and their labels.

ex: M 140.2 air pressure low

the old display was using digital outputs of plc (A24.1 to A24.7) i didn't understand what is this a protocol or something??
ýt doesn't use any port or something...?????

How i can use these outputs for my OP7?

What should i do..??

Even if you are not going to make any changes in the 115U program, then I recommend you to have the programming software so you can see what is going on.
Get a copy of "S5 for windows" from IBH. It is much less expensive and easier to use than STEP5 from Siemens.

The "A24.1" and "A24.7" stands for Output addresses Byte 24 bits 1 and 7. "A" is german "Ausgang" = "Output".
Similarly an input would be "E", german "Eingang" = "Input".

In Protool you simply specify the protocol as AS511 and let the OP take care of all the communication.
You dont have to program anything in the 115U to initiate the communication. The OP polls the data from the 115U.
There should be an example Protool project with an S5 PLC and the AS511 protocol.

One thing to look into is if you want the OP to display alarm messages. You then have to setup an "Area pointer" for the alarm messages in Protool.

Did the old display have a connection via the programming port or a CP, or was the connection via digital outputs from the 115U ?
If it was digital outputs, then that explains how it worked. Probably one output = one particular message.
You probably cannot reuse the outputs in the Protool project to display alarm messages. You may have to change the 115U program to suit the area pointer for the alarm messages.
Read the help text in Protool about area pointers !

NOTE: You must NEVER write to the outputs directly from the OP !.
The outputs must be controlled by the PLC program.
You will probably only address Merkers, Timers, and DB addresses in the OP program.

Thank u very much for your reply, u completely understood me,
with demo program of s5 can i download any program to s5 plc (i don't think so)

You said that u can't use the outputs for communication to OP7 yes ok, but can i use an mpi/profibus etc.. for communication ??

And one thing i've looked at the software

In display segment:

:L MB 191
:T AB 24
:L MW 140
:L MW 142
:OW
:L MW144
:L MW146
:L MW148
:L MW150
:L MW152
:L MW154
:L KH 0000
:!=F
:= M 0.1
:BE

is the code, i want to use OP7 what should i do?

No, you cant do anything "real" with the demo version. S5 for Windows is so cheap that I dont think there is any reason not to buy it.

You cannot use MPI with an S5 PLC.
If there is a Profibus card in the S5 rack, then you can use Profibus.
But the simplest is to use the programming port on the CPU with tha AS511 protocol.

Without comments it is impossible to say what the following does. It could be many things.

:L MB 191
:T AB 24

The following code part looks like a test for if any bit in the words are set. MW140 to MW154 could be alarms arranged in words, and M0.1 could be a common alarm bit.

:L MW 140
:L MW 142
:L MW144
:L MW146
:L MW148
:L MW150
:L MW152
:L MW154
:L KH 0000
:!=F
:= M 0.1

edit: If it really are alarm bits arranged in words, then you simply have to setup an Alarm area pointer in Protool with the same word addresses. Then go to "Alarm messages" and edit the text for each individual alarm.

Last edited:
ok i will use, also now creating the protool file, i've chosen every thing and i wrote area pointers ok, i compile the program and downloading to op7 but what kind of cable should i use from op7 to cpu's programming port.(pin assignments please?)

And i made the connection will it work???
Is it only that or should i write code in s5?

I know i'm too much but
thank u very much..

The OP to S5 cable via TTY has the Siemens part number 6XV1440-2A.. (the last digits are for the length).

You shouldnt have to change anything in the 115U to enable the connection.

Oh dear is it true i can't believe that the siemens turkey said me that i could do that tty cable and they sended me the schema but my op7 will not work because it should be 6AV3 607-1JC30-0AX1
not 1JC20.....

now the cable is ok but i need a new op....????!!!

You have 1JC20 (OP7 with Profibus/MPI port), it should have been 1JC00 (OP7 with serial port incl. TTY), or 1JC30 (OP7 with both serial and Profibus/MPI ports).

Siemens normally exchange units if it hasnt been used in the field.
You may have to pay a percentage (30-40 %) of the price as a fee for the exchange.