Dark Day Up North

Mickey

Lifetime Supporting Member
No deal: NHL season goes into deep freeze.

All our Canadian brothers are wearing black.

Last edited:
I've been waiting for this day for many months..There is a consolation however in the form of two books of very nice looking prestine season tickets as a souviner of this most memorable season.. I wonder if I should burn them in memory of it or keep them for postarity?

a sad day indeed

elevmike said:
I've been waiting for this day for many months..There is a consolation however in the form of two books of very nice looking prestine season tickets as a souviner of this most memorable season.. I wonder if I should burn them in memory of it or keep them for postarity?
Since you can't watch those Red Wings, how about a bit history / nostalgia trivia?

In 1925, the Victoria Cougars beat Montreal 2 out of 3 in Victoria for the Stanley Cup. Later on the night of this historic event, the arena burned to the ground. The arena was one of the first indoor ice rinks, built in 1912 by none other than Lester Patrick and situated across the street from my junior high school. The Patrick's evidently introduced many innovations to the game, including boards and blue lines. The following year, the Cougars had to play in a make-shift rink and subsequently lost the Cup to Montreal. The next year, the Cougars moved to Detroit, where they played two seasons as the Detroit Cougars before being renamed the Detroit Red Wings.

When the news came out that Gorde Howe was retireing my pops draged me down to Oly to make sure I got a chance to see him play (if I cared or not). Fell in love with the game from that moment on.. I new Detroit was one of the orgional teams and moved from Canada but didnt know that they were once the Cougars..

I'm so dissapointed I could cry, but I saw it comming when I took my 5 year old son to a playoff game a few years back. 2 people, between the tickets, parking, a few dogs, and a souviner it cost about $400.00 for the after noon.... Since I first had the tickets they have more then doubled in price, and became a major investment. I have to think very hard about doing it again when they get back to work.