controlnet issues with IO cards

IanL

hi guys,
first time post so be nice to me. :)

just been put on a project with controlnet issues with two CLX cars sitting in racks right above one another. they can be browsed using rslinx and see each other fine.

problem is using RSNetWorx for ControlNet, they don't seem to be actively sharing data between the two. i'm trying to sort out why, but rockwell support have been no help really. have made sure all IO cards have latest firmware updates on them as well.

any suggestions or advice? i can provide more info if required, just been shifted to this (not my baby so no idea what was going on before).

TIA

KEEPER

KEEPER523 no pun intended.

Is there a keeper on the network?

Usually with Controlnet I do the following.

(I am assuming that there is at least one PLC that has this IO configured, and that Controlnet is used for Remote IO)

Power everything up, and make sure cabeling is OK (since you can browse with RSLinx this is probably Ok).

Then in RSNetworx create a new project.

Go online, and let it find everything.

Save this back to the network,

you should see somthing in the status window like "updating the keeper"

Can anybody tell me:

WHY IS THERE NO DOWNLOAD BUTTON FOR CONTROLNET??

(In my opininion offline projects are useless for anyting but documenting projects)

Dutchman,
The reason I asked the redundant question is because there is a separate software to do this.

Usually when configuring a network with the RS networx you are only able to set up the network and download it.

I have to admit that my controlnet experience is limited but I know that with devicenet and profibus there is a bit in the first register that must be set to activate "data transfer mode" to get the card to actually start talking.

you are correct in assuming that if you can browse the network with linx then your wiring is probably ok.

My bet is on the control word and update time setpoint.

check the manual for software examples.

Several things come to mind.

Have you ever scheduled a CNET network before?
Are you comminsioning this network or has it failed?
Is it a redundant system? If so CLX or PLC-5?
What are the Controlnet modules you are dealing with? 1756-???,1794-???, 1771-????
How are you accessing the network, Serial?,Ethernet?, etc.
Are you trying to share IO, produce consume tags, or just send Messages accross the network?
What color are the LED's on each module and are they solid or blinking?

If you can give answers to some or all of these questions then we can make some headway. Too many variables to even guess what is going on.

This is not intended to be critical, just need more info.

Last edited: