ControlLogix L71 and ControlNet issues

dummy_bit

I'm having an issue trying to backup a ControlNet network. Within RSLogix5000, when I click on Module Properties of the 1756-CNB (Rev 5.001), the button to launch RSNetworx creates an error box:

"Failed to create new controller device in ControlNet project file. Verify EDS file exists: 0001000e005c1400.eds" (Yes it exists)

I've had to find EDS files for the 1756-L71 (Rev 20.18) on PCDC. The EDS Hardware Installation wizard keeps skipping over a huge section of EDS files for :

(0001000E005C1400.EDS)

"The following warning occurred in the [File] section of the EDS File: The CreateDate entry is not a valid date or format"

"The following warning occurred in the [Connection Manager] section of the EDS file: The O->T Real time format of the 'Connection parameters' field in the entry 'Connection1' must be 'heartbeat' when the 'application type' is input only or listen only."

Upon checking PCDC, our version of RSLinx (4.2) doesn't have a compatibility check mark but the box is blank. So it's not incompatible, but I can't get past these errors. Any ideas? Rockwell's Engage forum is mute at this point.

If you have RSNetWorx for ControlNet, open it up manually instead of trying to open it from within the Logix software. Now when it launches, if it opens an existing file, then go to File and select New. You might be asked what new network type you want. Select ControlNet and then OK. This way we will start with a fresh empty file.

Go to the Network menu and select Online. In the Browse for Network window you need to drill down to locate the ControlNet network. So for example you might have to go Ethernet to get from your PC to the CLX chassis. You would then go through the Ethernet module to see the chassis backplane. From there you would go to your ControlNet Bridge module (such as 1756-CNB or 1756-CN2). Go through that module and you will see the ControlNet listed below it. Select that and click OK.

Now for the rest I have to go from memory since I don't have a live network here I can use.

It should now be discovering the devices on your ControlNet network. This discovery may take a couple moments. Once it is done, go to Network and select Upload from Network. You can select Save and then select the location and name for the file. This is your ControlNet network configuration file and it is now backed up.

If you already had an existing network configuration file, then you would open it rather than creating a new file. Then when you are going online it would compare what is in the config file to what it is seeing on the live network.

OG

Thanks for the info!

I am able to browse the ControlNet and at least back it up with RSNetWorx, but there is still an error as the L71 shows as an unknown device. I get an unable to load EDS file again. I'll probably have to start up a Rockwell ticket to fix the EDS file issues.