Messaging between Micro820 and a ControlLogix (1756 L71)

Ckoch

I have followed several videos and tutorials that suggest when using the MSG function to enter 2,xxx.xxx.xxx in the Path box in order to connect to the Micro820 from the ControlLogix. Unfortunately this results in a connection error (#160001 or 160009_0311). Both PLCs are on the same network and I am able to connect to both from my laptop. Any suggestions?

I have followed several videos and tutorials that suggest when using the MSG function to enter 2,xxx.xxx.xxx in the Path box in order to connect to the Micro820 from the ControlLogix.

I suspect you have been looking at videos for CompactLogix, as that is the standard path for a message out the integrated Ethernet port.

Afaik 5570 controllers lack onboard Ethernet; your set Path needs to match the actual routing of the message through the backplane before directing it out the Ethernet port of your network module.

Since you probably have the network module already in your I/O tree, you can probably just prepend its name with a comma to your existing path.

The message is already "unconnected". And as far as the I/O tree, the only item listed within the backplane is the PLC itself, but I have multiple modules connected to the panel itself. How do I go about getting the ethernet module to appear on the tree?

Alright, I was able to add it and I put my path as EthernetPort1, 2, [IP]
I am still having the same issue.

Thanks, I have seen this video, and he uses the IP/Port that I described at the beginning (which unfortunately didn't work).

I managed to get it working, just a few misspellings of tag names between the software. Thanks for all of your help.