Bottle Resin Vacuum Loader

tom_stalcup

Lifetime Supporting Member
So, a while back I posted a question about this project. I didn't get a lot of feedback........

Here is what I have so far, but I am still looking for some constructive(or even destructive) criticism. Everything is on line and running (apparently) fine, and has been for a month or so. If anyone has suggestions about tighter/better/safer/more organized code, please toss them my direction. Some of the things I programmed in here are not real horribly efficient, but they work so far..... :)

I'm also looking for tips of the kind.... "Every program I write, I do <THIS>"

Took a quick glance, will give it a bettr one when I get some time.
My first thought is the need for more rung comments. I'm a big fan of lots of comments, so others may not agree. If you have three identical items, with identical code, comment at least the first one.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

Yeah i gotta agree with what Ken is saying. I am also a BIG fan of rung comments.. stops me getting called out during the night when the techs on shift can't understand a mod i've fitted ;)

I always try to make comments easy to read so the guys on nightshift can understand whats happening when the machine breaks down at 2am (it's always 2am!!) :p

Bolty

I'll chime in on this one.

I have to agree with the other as far as rung comments. you really never know how long it will be after the original start up it will be before your asked to make changes to the operation. as a result you may need them yourself just to remember what it was you were thinking at the time.

structure wise the most important thing to remember is that we are in a results based business ie. if it is working it's correct. having said that inefficient code is not a mortal sin.

Personal style and structure wise I always try to keep the code broken up into small digestable pieces for example split it into ladder files in pieces that are easy for you personally to understand.
I like to break them up in either functionality and or sections of the machine. things like.

Interlocks (safety concerns always first)
Alarms (reporting of safety or machine problems)
Inputs (physical inputs. this could be 2 files if I have motion or heavy analog inputs)
Outputs (same as above)
Internal code (broken down by machine section)

as I said above personal style really comes into play a lot.

Keeping the functionality in mind find your own groove and run with it.

The imperfection is from habit ...
Until the moment no find code. Exist, with the first line with the "bits" of faulth/fails of the equipment and project

**Bolty** said:
I always try to make comments easy to read so the guys on nightshift can understand whats happening when the machine breaks down at 2am (it's always 2am!!) :p
Bolty
Bolty, You knows because it ocurrences?

Tom,

I looked at it too. It looks about like I would have done, except that I try to have a rung comment on every rung telling what is going on. Also, Page Title comments are a good way to divide the files up into sections so that you can find the different Extruder Numbers. For example, the first rung for Extruder 1 would have a Page Title comment that says "Extruder 1 Begins Here".

What is Program File 5, "Spare", completely blank, all about? I would probably delete that one unless the program is not finished and you are going to add on here.

Ummmmm... ladder 5? There is nothing to see here..... Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain........ :)

Originally, ladder 5 was going to be for the manual controls to let the operators play..... My boss said no manual controls, so I deleted everything that was already set up in there.