Powering Compact Logix

Hello:
Has anyone ever powered the Compact Logix processor with a floating 120VAC system before? If so, has there been any problems/issues with this?
Typically, the Neutral side is grounded. With our power distribution however, the 120V supply are not grounded on either side. Instead, there is a set of ground lights tying the two 120V supply lines to a ground that indicate which side has a ground fault. This set up has the advantage that in an event of a ground fault on either side, it won't take down the entire system. And the fault can be dealt with at a later time without affecting production. The only problem with this I see is that the PLC power supply has a single fuse on the Hot side, and so we have to provide proper fusing on the neutral as well. I know the AB guys don't recommend this wiring setup, but I am merely looking for some opinions on this matter.
As a note, most of our PLC5 & SLCs are powered this way....
Thanks,
George

Last edited:
Suggestion: Power the PLC via a 24v DC PSU, fed from your 120v supply.

You can then tie the 0v of the 24v supply down to Earth (ground), without affected the 120v Supply.