thanks for the help all...

stasis

As a new member, let me start by saying thanks for the knowledgeable answers to my questions!

Here is the mostly complete program for the jam detection. Just need to tweak the timing values for the timers to match machine speed. I decided to go with a ML1000 Analog for costs. I also decided against sub-routines.

Please feel free to pick this apart.

on a side note, this is the first RSLogix program I've written. Before this, I've only written programs using PicoSoft Pro & EasySoft Pro.

Hello Stasis,

You asked for it, so here goes.

Label your I/O with desciptions that help to identify the function of the device. Instead of PE1, PE2, etc... try

PHOTOCELL
Left Side
of Infeed
Conveyor

You could use PE1, etc as symbols if you like but I would suggest some thought on a numering system or all your machines will start with PE1.

Label your internal items like timers, counters, coils, etc with description as well.

Add some rung comments to hint at what we are looking at. This may help you as well when you have to come back to this program at a later date and can't remember what you were thinking at the time you wrote this logic.

You are using the third analog input in your LIM comparisons, but you only have the first analog input enabled in the IO Setup.

The discrete input I:0/6 is not an analog as your symbol suggests. The address I:0.6 is the raw analog signal. Note the difference. You should scale your raw analog signal into engineering units that match your process variable before doing the comparison.

You have used a nested branch where extending the branch down would have been more appropriate on rung 2.

The use of an output for an EStop function is not advised. The logic turns on the output to initiate an EStop. What happens if that wire becomes cut or falls off? An EStop circuit should be hardwired and failsafe. You can have an input from it to let your logic know that the IO is not powered. I think your output would is actually a "Jam Stop" from your decription of the logic.

The program may be close to functioning as you intended it to, but is not "mostly complete".

Attached is a pdf for the non RS users.

Derek McFarland said:
Hello Stasis,

You asked for it, so here goes.

Label your I/O with desciptions that help to identify the function of the device. Instead of PE1, PE2, etc... try

...these are labeled in the prints that will accompany the install, including a drawing of the machine & location of the devices.

[QUOTE=Label your internal items like timers, counters, coils, etc with description as well.

Add some rung comments to hint at what we are looking at. This may help you as well when you have to come back to this program at a later date and can't remember what you were thinking at the time you wrote this logic.

...this is the kind of constructive critique I was shooting for!

[QUOTEYou are using the third analog input in your LIM comparisons, but you only have the first analog input enabled in the IO Setup.

The discrete input I:0/6 is not an analog as your symbol suggests. The address I:0.6 is the raw analog signal. Note the difference. You should scale your raw analog signal into engineering units that match your process variable before doing the comparison.

I'd love more detailed instruction on this...

[QUOTEYou have used a nested branch where extending the branch down would have been more appropriate on rung 2.

The use of an output for an EStop function is not advised. The logic turns on the output to initiate an EStop. What happens if that wire becomes cut or falls off? An EStop circuit should be hardwired and failsafe. You can have an input from it to let your logic know that the IO is not powered. I think your output would is actually a "Jam Stop" from your decription of the logic.

...no. the relay refers to a real-world relay.

Thanks!

It is great having prints, but they are not a substitute for well documented logic. Most of my customers will not accept a program that has any address used that is not described. When you are out in fhe ield, you don't want to have to refer to prints as you are troubleshooting a problem. This may not apply to logic you posted as there are few devices and you can memorize them easily. When a system is much larger with hundreds of IO, referring to prints is out of the question.

For scaling see help on the SCL instruction. The User manual has an example converting raw to percent, but you may want to use FPM, PSI, Degrees F or what ever you are measuring with your analog input. Comments and descriptions would let us know what you are measuring.

I think you are refering to an enable relay instead of an EStop relay. The EStop is required to remove power from outputs when de-energized.

Search this forum for more info on analog scaling and ESTOP.

Also I find it easier to use an N7 value for the high and low limits of the LIM blocks. On a micrologix it allows you to change the values while the program is running.
I:0.0/6 is a digital input. (do you have a physical connection to this digital input)
I:0.6 used in the LIM instruction is an analog input. It is the 3rd analog input on the unit but it is referred to as analog 2 in the input image table.
You have not enabled the 3rd analog input in the IO configuration, only the first.
Regards Alan

Last edited:
Timers

Hi stasis
I hope this will help you better understand Timers and how they work. I haven`t tried this so there may be some bugs. I have added two subs to your program and tried to explain how they work.
Good Luck