GE Fanuc Series Six genius global data swap with 90-30

raywins

I need to verify what I'm going to do is somewhere near correct.

Using VersaPro 1.5, CPU352, BEM331

I need to write 24 %R's to S6 Registers and 384 S6 global data bits to 90-30 %G's.

I think this is all done in the 90-30 BEM331 (GBC) configuration. I've set the S6 reference to 951 (my target address in the S6).

I'm also pretty sure the input & output labelling on the global data settings are illogical (bass ackwards).
- The S6 GBC is configured as Generic at SBA 28.
- Input Address1 is set to %R951 with length of 24 (same Registers as in S6)
- Output Address1 is set to %G1 with length of 384 (same as G's in S6).

In the S6, I've used IO/REG moves to map Inputs to Registers, then a DPREQ to broadcast R811 for 48 bytes onto Genius Global Data for the 90-30 GBC to pull off the LAN.

Is this correct? I need a reality check.

;)

On the 90-30 side:

The input address assigned to device 28 is the location in the 90-30 where you want to store the data received from the S6. The 90-30 doesn't care where the data came from in the Series Six. You have to make sure that the length of data you assign in 90-30 configuration matches the amount of data sent by the S6. If the S6 sends a different amount than you configure the 90-30 for, you'll get nothing.

The output address is the 90-30 location of the data you want the 90-30 to send to the S6. There is nothing you can do in the 90-30 to tell the S6 where to put the data it recieves from the 90-30. That's handled on the S6 end.

It sounds like you've got it bass ackwards.

Steve,
Thanks for your reply. Let me explain where I got my bass akwards information and clarify my understanding of S6/90-30 Global Data transfer. I've done a lot of digging in the last two days.

ON THE S6 SIDE...

Broadcasting S6 data to the LAN requires about 4 rungs of code in the S6 using a DPREQ. See pages 7-3 & 7-4 of GFK-0171B, Series Six Bus Controller User's Manual.

If you use VersaPro's Help function while configuring the GBC settings, you get the following info:

"Series 6 Reference

The S6 reference specifies the register location in a Series Six or a Series Five CPU that should be reserved for the global data that will be transmitted to it by the GBC. The default value of zero indicates that no register location should be reserved. The allowed range is 0 to 16383 inclusive."

I read this as meaning I have to supply a target register address that a 90-30 will write to in the S6. You said nothing is done in the 90-30 regarding where data is put in the S6. Additionally GEK90486F-1 Genius I/O System & Comms, page 7-10 table says that global data coming into a S6 is put into the Register address selected when configuring the 90-30 GBC. On page 7-6 table, this is reiterated. In GFK-1034B, Series 90-30 Genius Bus Controller, on page 4-5 it says the 90-30 GBC sets the Register address in the S6 that global data will be written into.

ON THE 90-30 SIDE - INPUT VS. OUTPUT...

If you use VersaPro's Help function while configuring the GBC settings, you get the following info:

"Input 1 Address

A device can be configured with two independent starting locations for input data with associated lengths for each location. The input data transmitted to the device by the GBC is extracted from the PLC memory areas starting at these specified locations. Valid data types: %Q, %I, %G, %M, %AI, %AQ, %R (range dependent on configured CPU)."

This is plainly wrong. Shame on me for believing the online help. I went back and looked at LogicMaster 90-30 online config help. It's reversed from VersaPro help. In GFK-1034B, Series 90-30 Genius Bus Controller, on page 4-7 it explains Input and Output correctly... like LM90-30 help. You're correct on this one. Too bad GEF has never fixed the online VersaPro help screen.

I think I've got it right now. Now to try it on the PLCs.

-Ray