Migration from Fix to Wonderware

Ken Moore

Lifetime Supporting Member
I/we have several SCADA systems running Fix32 and the newer iFix packages from Intellution. A sister plant is shutting the doors and they have several WonderWare Intouch licenses.

The question is if someone was pretty good with Fix,how difficult is the migration to InTouch. If it's not that difficult, I plan on acquiring several of the unused licenses. If anyone could recommend a document, website, or training class I would be greatful.

thanks,
Ken

I'm not looking to replace the Fix systems. Rather install Wonderware in future applications instead of Fix. We have a few applications where a SCADA would be nice to have, but I couldn't justify the cost.

Before you consider it too much, you might want to make sure that one of the wonderware licenses is a development license (so you can actually create the application).

As far as how difficult it is. I guess that depends on the individual. I think it would be easier going from iFIX to wonderware then vice versa. With a bit of time and maybe someone to ask questions to (www.plcs.net) then a bright guy could pick it up.

Good luck!

Before you consider it too much, you might want to make sure that one of the wonderware licenses is a development license (so you can actually create the application).

I've been told they have 30+ 2000 point runtime licenses, and around 5 development ones. I'm hoping to get 5 of the runtimes, and at least 1 development. Considering the cost savings, I think it will be worth the effort to learn WonderWare. I used it a couple of times back in the Windows 3.1 days, I'm sure it's changed a lot, but it can't be that tough to learn.

I'm just looking for a link, reference, or training somewhere in the South East U.S.

Worst case, I'll RTFM, setup a test station, and post a lot of questions here.
:confused:

Ken,

According to where you are in the Southeast.......

Check out

http://www.insourcess.com

They are the regional Wonderware distributors for most of the Southeast.

Tag count is how the runtimes are priced and yes you will need a development package. I use the 60k tag version of Factory Suite A2. The pricing structure is very complex and is based on the particular components you need and tag count required.

Classes run about $2400 for a three day seminar and are broken down into specific aspects of Wonderware development.

They also offer weekly webinars at no charge which are pretty cool.

Dave

Last edited:
Thanks Dave,
That's what I was looking for, I see that they have classes in Charlotte and Atlanta, I'm only about 1.5-2 hours from Charlotte, so I'll check on the classes there. Atlanta is an option also, about 3 hours away, but I hate Atlanta's traffic and try to avoid going there if at all possible.

Ken

:site: