iFix database to FactoryTalk Historian migration

terlizziJ

Has anyone successfully migrated an older Proficy/ iFix Historian database into a new FactoryTalk Historian server? Trying to eliminate having two Historian databases by migrating the legacy iFix system over to FT Historian. The iFix Historian is a validated system as well as the FT Historian so maintaining older data and being able to initiate historical trends etc. is essential.
Any and all feedback is welcome.o_O

Is there no benefit in re-doing it? If the new FT Historian has Asset Framework, there's a massive gain in re-doing it with the use of templates for plant objects which will then make naming and setting up the tags a breeze.

I migrated an old FT Historian to OSI PI (same product really) and didn't consider this so spent the next year and a half re-arranging tags and realising it would have been fairly straightforward to set it up originally by taking advantage of the functionality that exists in the software.

Also for visualising, using templates is far more powerful. If you have 5 assets based on the template you only need to create one trend to monitor the 5 individually.

It is possible.

At one time OSI PI called the process "backfilling" so that might be a good place to start with Google, the Knowledgebase or the documentation. The first time I encountered this way back on a v3.x system install it was important to backfill *before* starting to collect new data. The steps, limitations and restrictions seemed to have changed when I considered this for a v7.0 deployment recently.

I KNOW, a good OSI-PI integrator, would be able to migrate your history. It is not something the average user can do. I may know someone that can help, if you are interested. Most of the PI guys are in the IT world, know SQL tools to move data around.

I KNOW, a good OSI-PI integrator, would be able to migrate your history. It is not something the average user can do. I may know someone that can help, if you are interested. Most of the PI guys are in the IT world, know SQL tools to move data around.
Hi Ken- Yeah, I'm interested in connecting with OSI-PI integrator you know. This isn't something that I would attempt without having an SME onsite.

I ran across this today, sounds encouraging but I'm skeptical..

>>>Rockwell Automation provides the "Historian Migration Utility" tool that can be used to migrate data from Intellution iFIX Historian to FactoryTalk Historian. This tool supports migration from iFIX Historian versions 2.0 through 5.5 to FactoryTalk Historian SE or Classic.
The Historian Migration Utility tool automates much of the migration process, including the extraction and transformation of data from the iFIX Historian into a format that can be imported into FactoryTalk Historian. The tool also provides options to select the data to be migrated, including alarms, events, tags, and trends.<<<