best PLC

walters

me and my brother both like to play darts but we aren't the best in counting.thats why i like to make a program that does the counting for us. now i know that there are allready special boards for that stuff but because i have allmost nothing to do when im at home and we dont have internet and a computer available for going on internet and downlaod such program i am thinking of creating one my self.

but now i want some advise because i dont know what plc i can use best for this application. if this thing is getting to expensive i think i simply buy such board that are allready designed.but im young, have to much spare time and i can use the experience of programming and connecting those things together so please help me out so i can calculate the price that i have to spend when making one myself

regards walters

yeah really. we have one computer at home that is connected to the internet and the other one we ave stands on my sisters room and hat is on the attic(dont know if i spelled it wright but the most upper rom of a house) the dart board is on my room and we have to buy a new computer, a router and have to drill holes if i want to have internet there so in my eyes that's no option. drilling holes is certainly not an option btw because we hire that house. that is because i like to make it myself. i probably learn a lot from it and i like to do that kind a work.

i only have to work out a nice design

First things first...you could easily setup a wireless network
http://www.dlink.com/

In your case the best plc may be the S7-200 because you have access to software and adapters for it and overall they are not that expensive.

thx for the info rsdoran but even if i had the possibility to mak e that wireless network i still have to buy a PC and a router to make it happen and only for playing darts that is too expensive

but i was surfing on the net earlier today and i think that it is much cheaper to buy such electric scoreboard becaus there are to many exeensive components that i have to use to make 1 myselfeven tho thanx for the info all

Walters

I assume that you will also need a HMI on which to display the current score and also to input the score from each player. That might limit your choice of PLC to use.

Another factor to consider is whether you are willing to buy the software and leads to program your PLC and HMI or whether you are going to 'borrow' some from your place of work.

The PLC itself only needs to be capable of basic math functions, well 'minus' only really.

If you try and model your project on the dedicated darts electronic score boards, then the HMI will need to be capable of displaying at least 10 lines in two columns (or there abouts), but that will be your choice whether to display the previous throws or just the running total.

Paul

P.S Should Phil 'The Power' Taylor be worried?

i wasn't bout the viewing part because i also could use a some seven segment displays next to each other

another small thing the plc alos have to be able to multiply but that is another calculation that most plc's these days have ( at least that is what i think cause i read a lot over plc's i never heard about)

and phil "the power" taylor doesn't have to worry a bit

if he quits with darts within the next 3 years
icon10.gif
icon12.gif