The best remote I/O module for Siemens PLC

Most newish Siemens systems I see in the field has ET200SP IO in the cabinet, and then usually Turck or Balluff IP65 IO (usually connected via IO Link back to PN).

Things like drives are almost always over Profinet, and don't require IO to control (even for safety), but sometimes they can be used as local IO and send the signals back to the PLC.

I have thought about it but never tried it.... how about using a 1212?

The word on the street back in the day was that 1200's would never have I-device, because then they'd be cheaper IO per point than ET200SP. Feature showed up eventually tho.

From my understanding, there are two big downsides: 1) Basically no diagnostics, although many systems won't care 2) I feel like setup would be harder/more tedious than an IO system intended to be remote. You'd need at least some kind of basic project to map the IO to the I-device memory. It'd feel like every system was at least a little bit custom, which would be messy.

If your going to use IO from a VFD, only drawback is the terminals are not quick disconnect. The strip that connects the external IO is usually the digital inputs on the VFD. So who ever has to replace the VFD will have a lot of terminating to do for replacement.

My wish list is that VFD manufacturers would go to a quick disconnect on the digital IO terminals, similar to PLC IO.

Turck, Balluff or Murr.

Personally, I prefer the Murrelektronik to everything else. Cube 67 for outside the panel and cube 20 for inside.

Best Remote I/O

We use WAGO 750-3xx for a long time, I would say we never faced a faulty module for the past 15 years, besides WAGO almost manufactures a card for every need & purpose.

Hagos