Best option for a single remote AI into a Controllogix

scada.plc

Supporting Member
Hi all,

I need to bring in a single AI (temperature) from a remote location (2 miles) into a Controllogix PLC. Any simple cheap suggestions? Remote terminal unit with a radio? Should I use an RIO module in the local Controllogix?

When you say "Local Contrologix" do you mean local to where the analog signal is, or local to your location?

If there is a CLX where the analog signal is then run it into that PLC and set up Produced/Used tags for your PLC to read it. Or you could send the value by messaging

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by "single AI"... analog input?

Yes an AI is an analog input, like the temperature at this remote location that I need to bring into my local ControlLogix. Let’s assume for now that I can get a 4-20ma signal out of the remote temperature device. So this is a single (one) AI that I am needing to read into the ControlLogix PLC, presumably via a radio transmission. What is the best solution on both ends of this remote connection?

No, there is no CLX at the remote location. Currently technicians are able to read the temperature locally on a display. That’s all I know. I’m looking for a better way than having these techs drive to the remote location every morning to get this data.

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by "single AI"... analog input?

Yes an AI is an analog input, like the temperature at this remote location that I need to bring into my local ControlLogix. Let’s assume for now that I can get a 4-20ma signal out of the remote temperature device. So this is a single (one) AI that I am needing to read into the ControlLogix PLC, presumably via a radio transmission. What is the best solution on both ends of this remote connection?

No, it has power for a pump and a meter. There is a local display where techs get the flow temperature. They want me to propose a way to get the information from the remote site to the local ControlLogix.

Look into the Phoenix Contact RAD-900-IFS and related. We use these for your same situation for remote water tanks. They have a good distance and are stupid easy to use.

A lot depends on the definition or remote, but there are a fair few posts on this forum with radio-modems involved; ah I see one has just arrived.

I would not be surprised if the simplest solution was a smartphone with a data plan pointing its camera at the display and making the data available over wireless. It's pretty trivial to implement, and the operating cost of a minimal data plan compared to the time for staff taking long drives should be a win.

I suspect COTS (e.g. security) camera solutions to do this must exist as well, but would still require a data connection; at least with a smartphone the connectivity is built in (assuming cellular coverage at the remote site).

Worst case the display image is sent back; best case there is OCR on the phone and only the data are returned.

The Phoenix Contact RAD-900-IFS certainly has the range if your application allows line-of-sight transmission. But we often had signal loss in foggy conditions.