Why Code?

russrmartin

Just a little question on my mind. When I learned about the wonderful world of what I do, I was taught of PLC instructions, and ultimately that they were the general make-up of a PROGRAM. Now all I see and hear are people speaking of Code. I feel a sense of self importance from someone who writes Code. This sounds as though they are writing something secret, that no one else can interpret. Whereas a program sounds much more user friendly, anyone ole idiot can read a program. But how many people can decipher a secret "code." Also, it seems funny to me that while I and people I know and work with Program a PLC to do what we need or desire, there are other people all over the world who are Coding a PLC to do the same thing. When did the word Code become so popular?

Maybe it's because programming is more than only coding. It means designing with a variety of design tools such as flowcharts, timing diagrams, grafcet and so on. It's also documenting the resulting code and performing the maintenance of the code. These parts are equal for all PLC's whereas the code is different for every PLC.

Programming is more than coding, so the people who write a complete program have to be better qualified than the people who only write the code.

Kind regards,

Jean Pierre Vandecandelaere

Dictionary definition of 'Code' :- 'A system of symbols and rules used to represent instructions to a computer'

Dictionary definition of 'Programming :- 'To provide a machine (or PLC in our case) with a set of coded working instructions'

So what is the difference?

I prefer to use the term 'coding PLC's' rather than programming, as Porky says it does make me feel that little bit more important than the computer programmers of our IT department.

That's my personal view. I am sure others will differ

Paul

How about calling it....code programmer...or maybe that should be "programmer of code", we could call it POC for short...

Or maybe something like "codest Extraordinaire"

I'm sure we'll hear more.. :)

I suppose it depends on which tense you use. You would not say 'I coded that plc' you would say 'I programmed that plc'
I have even said' I wrote the software for that plc program' But did I write the software or did I 'USE' the software?

Maybe we are software code programmers

abentley said:
How about calling it....code programmer...or maybe that should be "programmer of code", we could call it POC for short...

Or maybe something like "codest Extraordinaire"

I'm sure we'll hear more.. :)

As a Matter of fact my title is "Lord King BooFoo of Code"

Re: Code is a four letter word?

Allen Nelson said:
'Code' is four letters long. 'Program' is seven. I'm a lazy typist.

People are lazy. My name is Andrew, get to know me and it's Andy. As if that wasn't short enough, my oldest friends call me And. Unless they are mad at me of course. Hopefully it never gets to An!