How to change Channel 0 address on SLC-5/03

Ian S

Does anyone know if I can change the Channel 0 node address of an SLC-5/03 from within the ladder program?

I know you can address Channel 1 by changing S:15 and re-powering, but there doesn't seem to be an equivalent for channel 0.

(I have six identical PLCs, but they need to have different Channel 0 addresses because they are all linked together on a multi-dropped, leased-line modem-network. I want to avoid having to maintain 6 copies of the software with different addresses.)

Thanks for any help you can give,
Ian Shaw

I think your best bet is to have six copies of the program. Put a label near the processor for each machine that identifies the node number and program name. Having just one copy of the program is a nice ideal, but really isn't practical in most cases. Just my opinion...Paul C.

I agree with the original replies. If you have 6 machines then you should have 6 copies of the program...one for each machine. I have worked with multiple types of machines that had identical programs but they were named similar..ie Roll Winders.
RW105072000....Roll winder 1 with date of last changes..05/07/2000.

A little more organization is needed but in the long run it will make life easier.

The above was an example, I like to use the machines serial number for the project name where possible and date stamp changes if possible.

jstolaruk,

Do you know which registers in the status file to change? I can only find the registers for node 0.

To the rest; thanks for your replies. My customer has specifically asked for a single program, and I intend to comply with his wishes if possible.

Help feature shows the low byte of s:15 controls the node address for channel 1 (high byte control the baud rate). A program compiles with the rung "MOV n7:0 s:15" but I've never actually tried it in a running processor to see it work. Do you have to re-Boot the processor?

Hope that helps.

I still think 6 copies labeled appropriate would make more sense BUT.

You want to change NODE ADDRESS...correct. The status files for the addresses are S:67 to S:82. I dont have a 5/03 to experiment with but it seems you should be able change the node addressing within these files.

S:15 is the node address for channel 1, as I mentioned in the original post. You CAN change it with ladder, but you then have to recycle power to make it take effect.

S:67 to S:82 are some sort of Active Node table. I haven't ever seen them change from 0, so it doesn't look like they store the Channel 0 address.

Thanks everyone for your ideas, but it looks like I'll have to do it the boring way.