can i change panelview text using keypad?

Hey all, i have a panelview screen (image attached), with 4 items on it. Program 1, Program 2, ...3, ...4.

The PLC i am using is a compactlogix L35e. I am using RSlogix5000 to program.

If an operator wanted to change one of the labels from it's default (eg. Program 1), to something else, eg. "Label 123". Is there a function i can create in the HMI to allow the operator to do this?

i imagine that in the PLC, there needs to be a (string) tag that i can change via the HMI. Then when the "OK" button is pressed, then string value of the tag is (MOV)ed to the tag that is being displayed on the HMI.

This is how i imagine it, but i have no idea if it is possible.

You advise is appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 2024-04-14 13_05_28-192.168.50.165 (pvpce-2ff0d2) - RealVNC Viewer.png
    2024-04-14 13_05_28-192.168.50.165 (pvpce-2ff0d2) - RealVNC Viewer.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 3
So basically you just want the ability to change the displayed text? Not to actually change the program, just what its name is showing as?

Use the String Input Enable object, tied to a String tag. If you aren't actually using the name for anything in the PLC you could use an HMI tag rather than a PLC tag if you want.

Regardless, you don't need any actual logic, just that whatever tag you point it to exists (unless you want to enforce some sort of limitation on acceptable names beyond what the HMI can provide). When the operator enters a name and presses the enter key in the pop-up box, the name is written to the tag set for the Value connection, which will also be what is displayed (unless you set a different tag for the Indicator connection).

So basically you just want the ability to change the displayed text? Not to actually change the program, just what its name is showing as?

Use the String Input Enable object, tied to a String tag. If you aren't actually using the name for anything in the PLC you could use an HMI tag rather than a PLC tag if you want.

Regardless, you don't need any actual logic, just that whatever tag you point it to exists (unless you want to enforce some sort of limitation on acceptable names beyond what the HMI can provide). When the operator enters a name and presses the enter key in the pop-up box, the name is written to the tag set for the Value connection, which will also be what is displayed (unless you set a different tag for the Indicator connection).
Hi Plv, thank you for your response. Yes, i do not require the name change to affect any programming, only that the operator has the ability to change the name.
So he may change the names to say: Bedroom1, LIving room, Kitchen, etc.

I have never encountered the String Input Enable object. I will look this up and have a play around. If you have any more information on this subject, i would appreciate it.

Hey Plv. Quick update. I found the string enable input icon on the factorytalk view studio toolbar.

I created a button to test and pressed the "play" button to test it out.

I get the impression the testing does not work from FTView studio because when i selected the button with my mouse i was expecting a keyboard to pop up but none did.

Maybe i need to upload the program onto the panelview in order to test it.

Did you set up a valid String tag in the Value connection? It should not matter if it is in testing or on actual hardware, but I am not sure offhand whether it will open the keypad if it does not have a working tag.

Checking the manual, one additional thing to check is the size of your display -- "If the screen resolution is smaller than 236 pixels wide by 208 pixels high, the pop-up keyboard cannot open."

PanelView Plus / FTView ME lets you use "HMI Tags" that are stored entirely in the HMI application and terminal, rather than referencing something in a controller. They can be digital (BOOL), analog (whole or decimal numbers) or String types.

This would be an ideal application for a configuration screen and some String Input Enable and String Display objects, to allow changing the label text.