ADC Lockout

ArikBY

Hi

I would like to here your opinion about Lockout Direct Vs RS view and Wonderware Intouch?
What kind of experience you have with Lockout?

Thanks in advance.

My latest expierance with Lockout was with the NHL. I was hung with the cost of season ticket at the Joe until they finally decided to cancel the season...then I got a refund.

Another time I got Lockedout because my wife was mad at me for attending a bachlor party that was pretty luid (lots of naked girls).

Another time a contractor locked out the sparkeys and within a few days something bad happened to the main building distribution panels. So then we were ALL locked out..

BTW, I have no expierance with Lookout.

Thanks Mike for the correction.

Again

I would like to here your opinion about Lookout Direct Vs RS view and Wonderware Intouch?
What kind of experience you have with Lookout?

Thanks in advance.

No experience at all with Wonderware.

Looked at RSView briefly. I'm sure it's powerful but, I couldn't get through A-B's (cryptic, to me) instructions.

I've put together four similar, non-networked, HMIs using Lookoutdirect (LKD) which monitor (via 1770-KF2 to DH+) and display data for (Softlogix5) conveyor systems. The documentation includes examples and a tutorial to get started. There's a pretty complete set of PLC drivers so it's versatile that way and there are enough objects available to accomplish about anything you'd want to do, provided you can figure out how to connect them. This comes with experience.

Documenting your work is a weak area. There's no built-in provision for commentary. You can 'create' your own using the "text plate" object but this is a clunky way to go about it, IMO. It is somewhat self documenting in that descriptive names can, and should, be given to the objects you create, but navigating gets in the way here sometimes.

There is also no easily readable printout facility. You can get a listing but it's the source code the compiler uses to create the runtime program. And, even this has to be done by starting a text editing program and printing it from there, you can't do it from within LKD.

There is an object browser feature but, it's only available on line. It would be a nice thing to be able to print it out and use it as a cross reference. Oh, well, maybe next version.

The online editing is nice. The process continues to run while you're working. Some inputs like pushbuttons become inactive though, while in editing mode.

Overall, it's not too hard to work with once you get used to it, like anything else, I guess.

Support has been good. I can usually get an intelligent response, via email, in a day. This is a plus since I needed some hand holding when I started out.

I use Lookout as my first chice for small applications. It is less expensive, has excellent graphics, and is very easy to configure. The learning curve is very short. Comm support is good for major PLC brands. Data collection and trending is good. You don't need a high tag count package - they only count external data like I/O. Any internal derived tags such as scaled values don't count against the licensed tag count.

Wonderware is more powerful. You pay for that with a higher purchase price, more complex setup efforts, and a longer learning process. Lot's of capabilities are available, but many require buying an expensive add on package.