DeviceNet Interface

GregPLC

I have to purchase a DeviceNet interface for my laptop. Been using my co-workers, and it's just plain time to get my own. I've been using the 1770-KFD box. Which should I purchase?

1.) 1770-KFD
2.) 1784-PCD

The 1770-KFD is about 200 bucks cheaper, however it's another BOX I've gotta carry in my bag. The 1784-PCD is a PCMCIA card, small, compact.

AB maintains the 1770-KFD is more robust.....My local distributor maintains they like the 1784-PCD better, however they indicated the connector is flimsy and should have good strain relief. I'm having a hard time finding good technical data comparing and contrasting the two. Can one of them do something the other can't???

Any AB gurus out there willing to comment? Ken?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

Go with the KFD.

Its more robust - and it does not tehter your laptop. You can unplug the serial cable from the KFD but leave the KFD in place. Thats has been a handy feature during startups.

Are these interfaces required for the latest AB processors or the older stuff?

Excuse my ignorance but I have not had to use an interface for Device Net for about 3 years - just go in through the processor.

Just remember that the KFD can only use com port 1 - 4.
If you are using a serial to USB adaptor then the KFD will not work for you.
Regards Alan

Last edited:
I wish that A-B would write an RSLinx driver for some of those other interfaces from Softing, IXXAT, SST, Hilscher, HMS.... etc. I especially want a fast, cheap USB/DeviceNet interface !

For most users the 1770-KFD is the best bet because of its robustness (the "dongle" is the PCD's weak point) and compatibility with everybody's PC. I have had success using it with the Keyspan U19 USB/RS232 converter, which is the model I recommend above all others.

The 1770-KFD has a built-in terminating resistor that can be switched on and off, so I have heard a lot of stories from users with shoddy DeviceNet wiring that the KFD "stabilizes" their network. Properly installed networks (it's been 10 years... hasn't anyone gotten past Page 5 of the book ?) don't have that problem.

I have only two gripes about the 1770-KFD. First, the fact that it doesn't Autobaud, so it's possible to use it to crash a network. Second, that the serial driver is finicky and sometimes I have to delete the DF1 driver and reboot before I can run a KFD driver.

It's time for a 1770-KFDUSB !

I am interested in how you get the KFD to use the keyspan.
My keyspan always assigns to com port 5 which the KFD can't access. Is it possible to tell the keysapn to use ports
1-4?.
Regards Alan

Alan,
You should be able to change the com port number in windows. Go to device manager and try there. I have had success with this in the past.

With XP, go Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager, Ports, select port properties, Port Settings, and then Advanced. You can change the com port number there.

For what it's worth I've been happily using a 1784-PCD and 1784-PCC cards now for about six years with not the slightest problem. Maybe I'm just a little more careful because I paid for both of them!!

But seriously I prefer the PCMCIA cards to the KFD because it doesn't need the serial port which is left free for other purposes, and it's one less box in the kit. Well in fact now I don't need a PIC ..I don't have ANY boxes in the kit.

I use the KFD, mainly because its robust.
I may be wrong but if you are using a control logix plc you can program the devicenet nertwork without a KDF or any special "box" by browsing the devicenet network via cpu then onto the chassis using RSNetworX.

Ive also used devicenet on Mitsubishi Q series, works rather well. no interface was needed with that.

You right in saying that you can browse DNet via the serial port of a ControlLogix but anyone who's ever had to do it will tell you to avoid it if you can! It is very slow, 4-5 minutes to scan. If you're spending someone elses' money get the duck/PCD. (In case you're thinking about using Ethernet rather than serial; it's the same sad story)

I found the ethernet browse of the Dnet on a control logix quite acceptable for speed, and no additional things to plug in.
Regards Alan

I personally use the PCD..........never had any problems with it..

Of course its all in how well you take care of your stuff.....

I have too many cables to haul as it is and try to stay away from "boxes". Just too much to haul and keep up with in my service truck.

It all really depends on the application tho. If you only have one system I would just get the box and mount it on the din rail in the panel. I have customers that do this after I leave and I have no problem plugging into the serial box if its there.

Dave

I set my keyspan USB adaptor to use Com3 as it was availalbe. I used the configuraiton utility that came with the USB adaptor. I also have ABs 9300 USB adaptor, and I set that to com4, but you have to go into the hardware manager to change the port settings with that one.

I had difficulty getting ABs 9300USB adaptor to work with the KFD, but I had no problems whatsoever with the Keyspand adaptor.

When using USB adaptors on your lap top you need to go into the hardware profile, select the properties of each of the USB root hubs, and disable power management. This will keep windows from powering down that port to conserve battery when it thinks its not being used when in fact you are using it. If the port is powered down by windows then the usb adaptor doesnt work when it comes back up and you have to disconnect and start over.

When using a control logix processor you can browse the device net through the processor, or through the ENBT because the CLX is a bridge. When working with DNET on SLCs or Mircos though you cant do this. I was not able to browse DNET through a CompactLogix L30 but however I was able to browse DNET through a CompactLogix L35E through the ethernet port.

Last edited: