PLCs that can take 250VDC I/O

Aartech

A
Hello everyone,
Are there any PLCs out there that can take 250VDC I/O directly without any opto / relay isolation with 24VDC conversion.
Thanks in advance,
Amit.

Power plant work, huh? I have used AB Flex I/O modules for 125vdc station battery type stuff, and AB also has a standard 125 VDC input module and an SOE 125 vdc input module. Try Siemens; TVA used their stuff to automate all of their Hydro plants. Some of the older ones had 250 vdc station battery voltage.

Had this issue once when using Fluke data logger. Voltage was above accceptible input value. Used a voltage divider to get it below 10 V. Worked like a charm
CAUTION it was not grounded -- I think -
so even though the "signal is only 10V (or whatever) it is still at a 250 VDC potential above ground (in your case) if your DC is grounded.
(it has been many years since I had to do this so memory is a little gray)

Dan Bentler

My company performed the TVA automation as well as other hydro power systems. This is a common problem and you will find that AB, Siemens & Modicon can take 125 VDC not 250.

These systems are sometimes grounded in the middle of their potential, i.e. voltage divider, to create +125 and -125 VDC as referenced to ground or 250 VDC as referenced end to end.

If you are stuck with 250, I believe you will find it difficult to find I/O cards to handle it. I was not aware of the Spectrum equipment, so I can't comment either way, but I will definitely stick it in my memory bank for further evaluation in the future. Thanks for the tip Ken!

Good Luck and feel free to ask questions, I will help where I can.

Thanks for the info, fellows.
MGVOL is correct, it is a power plant application. We have a programmable relay that takes care of the critical functions, but I am falling short of I/Os. Thats the reason I am on the lookout for a PLC which can talk to my relay using Modbus and directly interface with the switchgear controls. Alternate ofcourse is to use 24VDC interface i/o but it will mean more hardware, complexity and reliability issues. Thats what the local Siemens people are suggesting anyways.
Does AB PLCs support Modbus ? Do I need a Modbus server to enable a PLC and my relay to talk to each other ?

Thanks, Amit.

Thanks MGvol, Ken, leitmotif and hydropowerguy for your inputs.. I appreciate your feedback. I am looking over the spectrum controls products suggested by Ken. I hope I get support for them in India. Amit.

Hello aartech;

Siemens does offer 16 point 250 VDC input modules (actually 230 VUC, both AC and DC) on their S7-400 platforms (6ES7 421-1FH00-0AA0 and 6ES7 421-1FH20-0AA0). And the S7-400 can be a master or slave on Modbus, with the serial CP441-2 and Modbus loadable drivers (expensive package, but it works well).
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier