Omron Zen -Starter Kit

gordie

Hello Everyone;
Was looking into these from a local dealer and got a price of $415.00 cdn.Anyone know where I might find a better price on this. Do any of you use the Zen and if so maybe you can suggest a little cheaper way to get familar with this product. I would like to have one to experiment with. I have been playing with the software and am real impressed on what they can do. thanks for any and all replies Gordie

My office sells ZEN starter kits for USD $335 or USD $150 just for the brick with display.

I would say 415 Cdn is a good price for the starter kit. If you have the software, you may be able to get a non display unit for a reasonable price. Of course you need the cable to program it.

And you are correct that they are quite flexable.

I dont get the Zen thing...

For less then $250.00 usd you can get a DL-05 (8 in / 6 out) , software & cable.

For less then $400.00 usd you can get a DL-06, (20 in / 16 out) software & cable.

Both exaples above have HSC inputs, and are REAL PLCs. I dont see the value in the "Smart Relays" as compaired to some of the smaller PLCs.

It is called filling customer needs. People want them, somebody's gotta deliver them.

There are quite a lot of people that would get a basic ZEN 6in 4 out with display for $150 and use the built in HMI to program it. If you need several timers or counters the ZEN fits the bill quite nicely. It saves wiring, and trying to figure out weather you need on delay or off delay and things like that. Best of all one size fits all. It can be expanded with 2 additional I/O modules. It is both simple and powerful all rolled into a user friendly package.

If you do a bunch of small projects, the starter kit with software, cable and initial brick is a good deal going in. Then you only need the next brick for the next project and it does not need to have the built in HMI.

BTW, even though the ZEN is called a programmable relay, it is truly a REAL programmable logic control just like big brother the CS-1.

Last edited:
Some months back I looked in to these and the AB ones too. Since I already have DirectSoft, the price of a DL-05, ($100.00) and 8 in 6 out, negated the issue for me. So what I've done for timers and counters etc..is pre-program them for a number of different functions, and put them on the shelf. One of the favorate uses is to replace the rotary steppers.

Leadfoot

How you compare CS1 to Zen?.You cannot compare it even to CPM.I like the Zen for simpal app when I need to give option to change timer or to viwe some data.Its just smart relay.
I tend to agree with Mike,If I need to chose between Zen and DL05/6 I would prefer them .
.The Zen is limited unit compare to the DL05/06 and cost a same.
The bottom line is what the customer want, that what he is going to get and pay for.

I dont get the Zen thing...
They make very inexpensive and excellent multi channel time clocks - as do the Schneider units, and all the others.

They are inexpensive for replacing simple relay logic.

I do not use the software and blind units as I have yet to find a "smart relay" with decent software. I can program the things quicker and easier by using the push buttons on the front.

They are not online programmable and the software is "bloody cluncky"!!! You have to use drag and drop with all of them. RSI from using a mouse - no thank you.

Excellent choice for some jobs quite frankly but really make inexpensive multi channel time clocks.

ArikBY said:
Leadfoot

How you compare CS1 to Zen?.You cannot compare it even to CPM.I like the Zen for simpal app when I need to give option to change timer or to viwe some data.Its just smart relay.
I tend to agree with Mike,If I need to chose between Zen and DL05/6 I would prefer them .
.The Zen is limited unit compare to the DL05/06 and cost a same.
The bottom line is what the customer want, that what he is going to get and pay for.

I was not doing a direct compare. Having programmed both of them and a cpm, I am fully aware of each ones capability and limitations.

Some one mentioned that a ZEN was not a real PLC. I was attempting to point out the ZEN like its big brother the CS1 is a real "programmable logic control". It is called a programmable relay but it does do logic and it controls things. Is that not what PLC's do? I have seen some old PLC's that cannot do what a ZEN can do.

Like a volkswagon beetle and a rolls royce are both cars. One is the stripper model, the other is the luxury ride.

Ypu may want to check and see if Allen Bradley's PicoSoft will program it. I heartily recommend it, since I downloaded if from AB for free.

the additional on the starter kit seems a bit much, but then I am used to using the "other" brands of the unit.

regards.....casey

Last edited:
I would never consider one a programmable controller. I would not pay $415 us or cdn for one unless a Rolex came with it.

AB sells the PICOs with display starting around $200 US:
http://shop.rockwellautomation.com/RA/search/displaySearchResults.jsp

As was mentioned the software is free:
http://www.ab.com/plclogic/pico/

The cable, 1760-CBL-PM02, lists for $75 on the above page.

I do not consider them a controller because they basically do nothing but multiple relay functions. The only advantage they have is being programmable from the display. I am not sure the analog offers much.

I have had a couple over the years (not purchased) but never could justify paying that much for a relay when I could obtain a PLC for the same or less and have more options.