S7 - Timestamp problems with Instance DB

RMA

I created a new FB a couple of days ago to enable me to shut down a single module (for example if it faults) without affecting the others. While playing around with it today I made several changes to the STATS in quick succession as a result of changing my mind a few times as to how to achieve what I wanted. Each time I deleted and recreated the instance DB and now I seem to have confused Step7 because when I try to enter the call in OB1 it complains that there is a Time stamp fault.

I deleted the DB and recreated it a couple of times just to be doubly sure I hadn't forgotten something somewhere - no joy. As a final attempt, I deleted the DB and did not recreate it. Then I entered my "CALL FB9 <RETURN>" expecting to get the pop-up asking if I want to create the Instance DB - but no, not a squeak and my CALL FB9 was left sitting orphaned in red!

Anybody any ideas how I can get out of this one?

This particular time, it won't be a disaster if I have to go back to the backup and start again, but that may not always be the case, so I'd sure like to know if there's a solution.

Any chance you accidently deleted the FB also.
My experience -
call an existing FB without a DB - turns red slides to left
call a non existing FB - turns red sits in center.

EX:

Last edited:
Maybe you already know this but here is my suggestion. Right click on the red FB. You will have the option update block. It helps me out a lot of the times.

🤷 Tomorrow MotoGP TT Assen :D

Any chance you accidently deleted the FB also.
My experience -
call an existing FB without a DB - turns red slides to left
call a non existing FB - turns red sits in center.

EX:
Attached Imageshttp://www.plctalk.net/qanda/attachment.php?attachmentid=4425&stc=1

Mmm, interesting, as far as I can remember the call remained in the middle, but I'm not certain, something to check tomorrow.

However, I could have sworn that I hadn't deleted the FB - but you never know!

Maybe you already know this but here is my suggestion. Right click on the red FB. You will have the option update block. It helps me out a lot of the times.

Must admit I was so confused/irritated by the red colour, I never thought of trying that. Something else to look at tomorrow!

🤷 Tomorrow MotoGP TT Assen :D

Meetup with S7Guy on Saturday means that videorecorder is already programmed! :D

PS: We've already had a (nearly) all Scottish Thread, maybe we can manage an all motorcycle fan Thread one of these days!

Last edited:
Roy

I've also got tangled in things like this: editing UDTs after I've used them in DBs; altering STATs in FBs after I've created the instance DB etc. I liken it to changing the size and shape of the bricks after the house has been built!

The most useful tool I've found in STEP7 is the 'Block Consistency' check. This highlights all issues like date & time stamp mismatches etc and allows you to recompile individual blocks or all blocks in order to bring things all back in to synch.

Ken

PS: Bikes? Ugh. Nasty, noisy, messy, dangerous things!

The most useful tool I've found in STEP7 is the 'Block Consistency' check.

Where do I find this? The only consistency check I know of is in H/W-Config and it has never, ever shown me a fault, even when I knew there was a problem!

What H/W consistency problem have you known about but Hardware manager has not reported it ? (note this only applies to h/w, not s/w)

Aah, that explains it, I assumed (yes, that word again!) it was all consistency. What wuold constitute a H/W consistency problem?

Was there a symbol assigned to the instance DB ?
Maybe the old symbol is still in the Symbol list.
Try to search for it in the Symbol list. Delete it, and save the list.
Then try to create the instance DB again.

Yes the symbol is still rgere because I wanted to reuse it, I always do this. Still I'll try deleting it next week and see what happens.

Hi Jesper,

bit late online today, because I've been enjoying a day's holiday after driving down to near Stuttgart and back to meet up with S7Guy - must admit, this morning I was glad I had the day off!

I'll give that a try with deleting the entry in the Symbol table tomorrow and see what happens.

That's a bit sneaky!

I can understand Timestamping DBs and FBs and I can even live with the fact that Step7's occasionally a bit "over"-fussy, but Timestamping the Symbols - why?

That solved it, thanks Jesper!