Lighter Pot- Transformer

new2ths

This may be a stupid question for some, but can anyone tell me what a "lighter pot" is used for? is it used to balance the load or carry the load? Thanks!

Transformers come with different kinds of internal construction, one of those types is pot core. Because of shape the term for many larger transformers used on utility poles etc was POT.

Somewhere in the back of my senile head I know what "lighter pot" is refering too but can not remember at this moment.

If I remember and someone doesnt beat me to it I will repost.

Coming from a lineman background the "lighter" pot is the transformer in a three phase bank of transformers that has the single phase load hooked to it (the lighting load). The lighter pot carries more load so it is not uncommon for them to fail first or have heat related discoloring of the paint. They are generally the center transformer of a 3 transformer bank.

Steve