Commercial Electric/Home Depot Tools

sparky66

Just a warning guys. I bought a pair of regular wire strippers at Home Depot just to have an extra pair around the house. Didn't realize "Commercial Electric" was their house brand, and anything but commercial. Used them for the first time yesterday. Cut a 12awg Romex cable with them, and the cutting edge deformed so badly that they wouldn't close. Filed it down and then was breaking plaster ears off a receptacle and the jaws went over-center somehow. I called HD customer service to let them know they shouldn't be selling garbage like that, but I doubt it will do any good.

I use cheap ones, Westward... I have never used "Commercial Electric" but for the money Westward is good, we go through maybe 3-5 a year

They must be cheapening them.
I havent bought one in the last 3 years, but i have 3 sets of the green handle commercial electric strippers. They have served me pretty well. I do a decent amount of panel building with them.
Not to much using solid, romex wire except maybe once every 2 months or so.

One steadfast rule for electric tools is don't buy ANY that start with the letter "R"

Ryan, Ryobi, Rigid (and 1 more I can't remember currently) are all the cheapest junk made by the same company for others.

I learned years ago that my tools were my income and to get good ones. Spend an extra $30 or 40 on a drill that will hold up years longer without problems is worth it in the end financially and for the stress reduction.