choosing a Commercial AC unit

kirki

I am choosing one of 2 AC unit with a 12 EER or 11 EER rating on it.
12 EER Rating unit 172000btuh 12EER 14.3KW 11 EER Rating Unit 159000btuh 11EER 14.5KW THERE IS HARDLY 0.2 DIFFERENCE IN KW RATING but the price is 6000 different.

Am i saving any energy by going to the 12 EER one?? so what the manufactures are saying is you pay the price for meagre savings in electricity.

Look like I am saving 140 dollar/year for 50 WKs, 7 days, 24 hrs if the cost of electricity is 0.08 cents /kwh

Last edited:
Yeah, they have these government-sponsored programs where people get tax deductions for buying "energy-efficient" equipment. The main savings is not in KWHours, but in taxes. In my opinion it is NOT a good use of taxpayer money. The manufacturers simply jack up the price so that they are getting most of the tax benefit.

Ratings look good.

While the ratings are important and so is cost I think there are other considerations as or more important including
Buying quality equipment from a maker and local installer you know and trust. Good local support including parts. Given that the two units rating wise are a near toss up I think the support issues would be my tip the scales decision points.

Dan Bentler