Help choosing a Rockwell PLC with safety

tdoa

Good evening,

I'm primarily a Siemens user, but I have an incoming project where I need to use Allen Bradley everything.

So far I know that the HMI will be either a 2711P-T7 or 2711P-T9.

Now, regarding the PLC I have some doubts, it should be a safety PLC, since there will be a safety scanner and a cobot, so I think the choice will be either 1769-L30ERMS, the 1MB of code seems a bit short(i'm used to 12-16MB cards when using ET200F CPUs) so maybe a 1769-L33ERMS would be a better bet. Besides price would a 5069-L340ERS2 be a better choice compared to the 1769 family PLCs?

And regarding the IO cards, if I go for a 1769 system there doesn't to be any IO cards, I would need to use something like a POINT Guard IO to have my discrete safe IO? While there seems to be safe IO cards that plug right into the 5069.

So, my question is, is it more cost effective to use the 1769 plus Point IO, or to go for the 5069 directly?
Keep in mind that all this needs to be crammed into a 500mmx500mm enclosure, and I'm expecting some 4-6 safe inputs, 4-6 safe outputs, and at least 16 inputs and 16 outputs.

Best regards.

Given the space constraints, I would probably look at the 5069 with safety IO modules. By the time you get the 1769 with 1734 chassis, you'll run out of space pretty quick. I'd have to do a rough layout to be sure, though.

For cost, look at the "Product Selection Toolbox" from AB. Part of that is "Integrated Automation Builder" which will help you build a BOM with the various accessories (RTBs, end caps, etc.) you'll need and "ProposalWorks" which will give you current list prices. So, you'd build the system both ways to get list prices and contact your local distributor for current lead times.

I suspect your path will depend more on part availability and project timeline. Given that factor, and my experience of the past 6-12 months, I would seriously consider a Keyence GC-series safety controller. They can be easily added to a Logix project for monitoring. The safety would all be handled inside the GC while the PLC can monitor it and show stuff on the PV for the operators. For my last project, I actually placed an order for a 5069 Compact GuardLogix but ended up having to go with a standard 1769-L16xxx with a GC to meet the timeline because of the long lead time for 5069 and Point safety IO.

Before doing this, take pictures of yourself with hair... after this project you won't have any.

I would look at 5069 (newer family) and they have safety IO that can be mounted in rack (look for IB8S and OBV8S).

Analog IO however, needs to be point IO. I believe Flex 5000 was launching this too, but I believe it's more expensive.

Boa sorte, just out of curiosity is this to be installed in Portugal? I never saw a Rockwell PLC in Portugal, it was Siemens and OMRON mostly so am surprised.

The usual is Siemens yes, since it is also much cheaper than Rockwell, Omron has also been gaining some market share, but thats because they went on a price war with Siemens.

There is also lots of Rockwell PLCs in Portugal, mostly PLC5s with all sorts of lack of maintenance. One of the distributors for Rockwell regularly sell automation projects with 50-80 PF525/PF755 drives, plus PLCs and HMIs to go with them.

I have integrated a lot of newer AB PLCs, either small machines with Micrologix 1400 programmed in RSLogix 500, or 1769-L24ER programmed with Studio 5000, this is for factories where the brand is US based, so its either Rockwell or you wont get the project at all. Those with the 1769 where paired with GuardMaster 440c-cr30 safety controllers.

I wont need analog IO, its "simple", just a cobot with a camera taking points and acting on those positions, the HMI is also simple, nothing fancy at all, just alarms and a couple buttons to start, stop and force the robot home.

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

I will start getting some quotes on what is available, but I will push for the 5069, given the space constrains of the enclosure.

I will start getting some quotes on what is available, but I will push for the 5069, given the space constrains of the enclosure.

Bear in mind the power supplies on the 1769... they look very cute and nice little PLCs but come with no power supply. When you see the size of the power supply attached to the 1769, it all starts making sense.

5069 is 100% your best choice here for simplicity, space constraints, and the fact that it's the most modern platform. I've used quite a few of the 5069 safety controllers and now I grumble every time I have to go back to the 1769 platform and point I/O

5069 is what i would use as well. If your using distributed IO than 1734 eould work nicely

Thanks for the help provided, now lets see what can be had in stock, and how much will my project manager let me spend..