erasing com settings???

OregonMajor

What is the procedure for erasing the com settings on a already configured slc 5/04 card? This way I can set up the approriate driver for it.

Current situation is that I cannont get a driver "rs232 df1" driver set up in RSLINX. Going from Com1 to the rs232 connection on a 1747-L541 processor. Get the "unable to verify settings due to packet timeout, check all cables and configuration and try again"

Call your local AB rep or hope someone here can get you out of this situation. I have a 5/04 but never have used it so I am not sure about what it needs for DF1, but I use a 5/03 all the time and I also use DF1 for them and autoconfig works all the time.

The RS232 port of a 5/04 can be set to use the DH485 protocol. Try deleting the DF1 driver in RSLinx and setting up the 1747-PIC driver (keep the same cable, just try this). If that doesn't work the port may have been set to the third option - as an ASCII port to converse with an external ASCII device. If that is the case and you aren't worried about keeping the program that the CPU currently contains then get the 5/04 manual and follow the instructions to "return the processor to the initial factory conditions" All this is assuming you don't have a DH+ setup to use the upper ports.

Just so everyone knows I figured it out.

Simply power down the plc, remove the processor, unplug the battery on the card. Then take a small screwdriver and short out the leads on the capacitor on the back of the board. Capacitor is Green. Connect battery, reinstall card, power up and your good to go. Thanks for the help though.

Simply power down the plc, remove the processor, unplug the battery on the card. Then take a small screwdriver and short out the leads on the capacitor on the back of the board. Capacitor is Green. Connect battery, reinstall card, power up and your good to go. Thanks for the help though.

What you basically did was follow Bernie's advice, and returned it to the factory defaults.

Which would have been great if there had been software in the processor . I'm not sure that you necessarily solved the problem (you certainly didn't if there was software loaded) , rather a big stick to break an egg . Your other alternative was to use the DH+ port and check the port settings .