Not quite OT

Rod

I noticed last night that the Science Channel has begun a show called 'How Things Work'.

From making bread to pantyhose to flourescent lamps.

All were chock full of high-speed machines cranking out product, but alas, the PLCs (and there had to be a TON of them) weren't shown, just the Zip-Zoom of the line.

I was dazzeled by the complexities involved - WAY beyond my abilities.

anyone else catch it?

Rod (The CNC Dude)

I ment to what that but got sidetracked. These shows usually stick to the mechanics and gloss over the automation/control issues due to the dryness and complexity of the subject. Funny thing is that these things would never happen, or be so amazing, without the automation...

Like the Stealth Fighter & Bomer. Lots is talked about regarding the carbon fiber materials, shape, and sparrow sized radar signature etc.. and not much on the control systems. Without the computers these things would fly like rocks.

An amusment park near here has an automation team that likes to showcase its work. Many of the controller cabinets have nice glass windows in the doors, are neatly constructed, and are placed so as to be secure yet visible to the ride patrons standing in line. Thus guys like me can be kept entertained while waiting in line with the kiddies.

About 10 years ago my wife worked at Disneyland and for the 40th Anniversery Cast members and spouses :D got to go backstage and view some of the attractions. Indiana Jones ride was new then, and they showed us the PLC in the back of each ride vehicle. I think it was a SLC 150, but it may have been something more advanced. I barely knew what a PLC was back then.

Rod said:
All were chock full of high-speed machines cranking out product, but alas, the PLCs (and there had to be a TON of them) weren't shown, just the Zip-Zoom of the line.
Rod (The CNC Dude)

Well I've watched 6 episodes of this show now and I'm really disappointed that they don't show more of the automation. It is cool to see the process though. I guess they think that people who don't work in the automation industry wouldn't care though. But even when they do talk about the automation they kind of dumb it down. At one point they said "a magic eye" checks the part for errors. I assume they are talking about a vision system, though I couldn't spot one in the system when they were talking about it.

Anybody interested in making our own show, we could have hours of blinking lights on a PLC Rack. Well my 6 month old might like it anyway.

Last year took the kids to the jelly belly factory, go to take a tour of plant. I was so fascinated how fast everything ran, all I wanted to just open up the panels and see how it all works. Saw they had a opening for a maintenance electrician, really wanted to apply but the 3 hour drive would have been a killer.

Also about 4 years ago took a tour through Seirra Neevada Brewery. They had one of the most organized, clean, and sophisticated AB set ups I had ever seen. PanelView screens everywhere, monitoring the whole proces of the beer... was really empressed. Even all the conduit runs was stainless steel.

Eric (as in Nelson)

Do you have any of these episodes mentioned above recorded on your ReplayTV?

If you have, any chance of you uploading them to Ron's so I can have a 'butchers'?

Paul

I think a show on the details of automation would be,(for most people), like watching paint dry. Except for at trade shows, every automation display I've seen has some machine doing some remarkable process to demonstrate what, but very little explaination on how...

elevmike said:
I think a show on the details of automation would be,(for most people), like watching paint dry. Except for at trade shows, every automation display I've seen has some machine doing some remarkable process to demonstrate what, but very little explaination on how...

Yeah I know, I guess these shows never really answer all my questions. I see something and I want to know a whole lot more about it. At least I have google.

Sorry, Paul. I don't get The Science Channel because I refuse to give our local cable company MORE money each month for their 'iO Digital' service... :rolleyes:

Maybe someone else can take on this task? I myself would enjoy seeing it as well... :nodi:

I'm sure the epiosodes will eventually trickle down to The Discovery Channel, which I DO get.

🍻

-Eric

P.S. I think the correct show title is "How It's Made"