car wash

mike solomon

I have just started a plc course and the lecturer is a complete arse who thinks we know everything about plc's without telling us anything. He has set us an assignment to;
describe the design charateristics of typical programmable logic devices
describe different types of input and output devices
describe types of communications links used in plc systems
describe the internal architecture of a typical plc
describe the operation of the cpu.

we have to select a suitable plc type for his system, giving a description of its designand operational charateristics, making reference to its internal architecture.

In addition we must select and describe suitable input and output devices wich will interface the plc to the system specified. We must also describe any communicatio links necessary. HELP....PLEASE!

Hi Mike,

Just a question,
Are you supposed to submit this assignment at the beginning or the end of your course?
If he only wants this at the end, then you can relax a bit.
Of course all the questions you asked are faily well answered on this site.
Just go to the top of this page and click on the 'Learn PLC' link.

Doug
(Practicing the infinite patience of the Budda)

Mike,

Is there an E-Mail address available for this "INSTITUTION" of Higher Learning that you are attending?

Perhaps, even better, an E-Mail for the "Dean of Technology" or whatever he's called.

I'd like to blow that so-called Instructor out of the water!

HE AIN"T BEING A TEACHER !!! He's takin' a free-ride!

Mike

You stated

I have just started a plc course and the lecturer is a complete arse who thinks we know everything about plc's without telling us anything

Are you sure about this, I doubt very much that this particular lecturer would assume that you know everything about PLC's especially as you have enrolled on a course to learn them.

Still, a part of learning is to do your own research, not just be told the answers by people who know, can I suggest a visit to your local reference library or even your local college library. After a couple of hours reading and research I am sure that you will find all the answers to your questions.

Sure, it's easy to have someone point you to a web site address and then just print it out and hand that in to your lecturer.

But is that learning? No it isn't, that being bloody lazy!

Steve Bailey wrote

Question: At any given time, how many students are pursuing the HNC certification in controls?

Steve, unfortunatly there are thousands and I am sure that one by one they will all find their way to this site and all post their car wash assignments.

Mike

If you have read through the posts on this site you will see that students do not get straight forward answers to their questions, unless they can show that they have put a bit of effort in.

We were all in your shoes once, but for most of us we did not have the internet to help us out, we had to do our research the old fashioned way, spending many hours in libraries. I still believe that is the best way, read and re-read until it sticks!

Paul

carwash

mike

is the car wash your first assignment!!
thats some going but hey don't panic
i got a book that covers basics and i was only 6quid its a plc workbook from the city and guilds its very easy to follow and will give you a start on simpler applications first and will allow you to progress on to the likes of the carwash the
code if your interested is ISBN 0-333-56510-X
BEST OF LUCK MATE

That book sounded interesting to me. Unfortunately, searching on that ISBN number didn't produce any results. Any additional info, that you could provide that may help find info on the book? It's probably going to be very expensive too huh?

Just a thought.

Some of the really old allen bradley manuals put a lot of effort into teaching plc programming to electricians. Probably due to the fact that they were trying to sell the PLC concept during a time of transition from relay logic. They are hard to find though, due to their being out of print. Suprisingly, most colleges seem to have them in their reference library. They're usually pretty dusty.

Mike,
Try this excellent textbook: Programmable Controllers, Theory and Implementation, 2nd Edition.
The book covers introductory and advanced topics. It contains all of the answers to the questions you asked--and more.
You can read a synopsis and order it from: http://www.industrialtext.com/
This is one book that was really worth the price of purchase!

Lets go another route

An automated car wash

Car enters and conveyor starts
Pulls car to designated point then "wets" and "soaps"/
Car moves slowly thru wet and soap section
At soap and brush section...brushes on front top and side(s). Brushes rotate.
Car moves along to "wash" section that uses hot water and brushes to wash and rinse.

Note: this is simplistic evaluation

Car enters wash...need a device to detect car
Car enters wash...device detects car then conveyor starts
Encoder may be needed to resolve where car is at any point
OR
sensors to determine car position
Car moves to "wash"...water spray turn on, soap turn on, brush rotation start.
-Think about what detects the car then what needs to come on at specific points to "wash" the car.

Since this kind of system is NOT common in your area I would not hworry too much about specific details. Use the scenario and devise a system then add components as needed. Once you have develped an I/O list then you program.

Basic I/O list
need to detect car entering..INPUT
sensor(s) or encoder to determine position...INPUT
Soap dispenser..output
water dispenser...output
brush turning...output

You fill in the rest.

A car wash is used as the application example for the Telemecanique Nano PLC family. If you go to http://www.modicon.com and search for document TLXDM07DSE and look in Part E, you will find more than enough information to plagarize.

An more honorable alternative is to try a Google search for "PLC Car Wash Example" (3,760 results).

But does any one really think we will ever hear from mike solomon again?

Jim,

I don't know. Maybe his "lecturer who is a complete arse" is one of the regulars here. Hope he doesn't do anything he would regret later on banghead .

I couldn't believe an arse could become a lecturer, but maybe that's because I'm a trainer myself. The only difference is: I don't lecture, I train people to use the PLC. Could that be the reason of my misbelief :unsure: ?

Kind regards,

Hello!
I wonder is it only in Finnland or all Europe where all carwashes
are of the other type then in the USA?
In Finnland the car always stays still and the machine moves.
You drive the car in the machine it tells you to stop or go backwards/forwards and then it starts top move over/around your car.
You can choose with brushes or without them (pressure water) if you don't want to get your car scrached.
I could imagine that you save money/space with this kind of configuration ? I put a picture of the type that is usually used in Finnland.
if you want to see their homepages then goto: http://www.suomencaltronic.fi/tuotteet.htm

carwash.gif