ControlLogix

G
What is the difference between SLC500 and ControlLogix. Can you still use RXLogix for programming?

There is a difference between those plc. Structure and programming are not same.

Slc use rslogix 500 and CLx use rslogix 5000 but those software are different.

Thanks

Are we seeing the end of RSLogix's and the SLC500 Family, if so can the RSLogix user program be converted to ControlLogix platform.

We are thinking of purchasing the RXLogix software, should we go ahead and purchase the ControlLogix programming software instead?

Are we seeing the end of RSLogix's and the SLC500 Family ... What is the difference between SLC500 and ControlLogix. Can you still use RXLogix for programming?

there are TONS of SLC-500 applications out there in the field ... no one is going to rip those out and replace them just because something “new and improved” is available ... so ... if you need to work on SLCs, then you’re going to need RSLogix500 ... the RSLogix5000 will NOT work for the older platform ...

before you spend your money on something that you might not need, I'd suggest that you make a list of ALL of the different types of processors you'll be working with ... post that list (or have it handy when you talk to your local AB distributor) and we can help you decide which flavor of RSLogix you need to buy ... prices range from ABOUT $500 to $1,100 to $3,500 (US dollars) ... depending on which processor platform you need to work with ... some handy buzzwords: RSLogix500, RSLogix5, RSLogix5000 ... sorry but NONE of these are interchangeable ...

and incidentally ... if you're going to connect to a processor, then you're going to need some type of communications cable ... again, we need to know what type of processor (catalog number please) to help you decide what you'll need for this piece of the puzzle ...

can the RSLogix user program be converted to ControlLogix platform.

RSLogix5000 has a utility that comes “close” to making the conversion ... but the converted program still needs some fine tuning (to say the least) ...

hope this helps ... and welcome to the forum ...

Are we seeing the end of RSLogix's and the SLC500 Family, if so can the RSLogix user program be converted to ControlLogix platform.
There is a tool for this. But, if your program is anything more than a traffic light controller, you're probably better off writing it new. The CLX does not use fixed address tables like the SLC, so the conversion tends not to take full advantage of the CLX processor.

We are thinking of purchasing the RXLogix software, should we go ahead and purchase the ControlLogix programming software instead?
What are you going to be programming. The SLC does just fine for most applications, and I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper. The SLC should be around for a long time, yet.

AK

You’re a tremendous help with this posting and greatly appreciate the information.

Right now we are using RXLogix Version 4.10.00, which has been installed on a PC Laptop running Win98. I’m fairly new with the company and not sure where they acquired this copy of RXLogix. The serial number is 000…000 and there is no Authorization disk with this copy. We also are using the old 1747-PIC interface unit to communicate with the PLC.

The laptop is old and I have persuaded the company to purchase a new laptop (Dell Latitude D600). I would like to purchase the software for all the support benefits and to be legal.

The following are the Processors we are using:

5/02
5/03
5/04

Please advise on any additional information that would help in selecting the proper software.

Best regards,

akreel said:
...The SLC does just fine for most applications, and I'm pretty sure it's much cheaper. The SLC should be around for a long time, yet.

The SLC is not much cheaper. The IO is just about the same price and the low end CLX processors are about the same as the SLC5/04s and /05s, but you get so many more capabilities.

The SLC (in any of its flavors) is way more expensive than the compact logix, which has the same instruction set as the control logix.

We no longer use SLCs for anything new. If we need a small IO count we use a ML1200 or ML1500, anything with more than 32 IO is a compact-logix or control-logix.

Right now we are using RXLogix Version 4.10.00,....

.... We also are using the old 1747-PIC interface unit to communicate with the PLC.

The laptop is old and I have persuaded the company to purchase a new laptop (Dell Latitude D600). I would like to purchase the software for all the support benefits and to be legal.

The following are the Processors we are using:

5/02
5/03
5/04

To communiate with the 5/02 under Win XP you are going to need RSLinx 2.4 or higher and you will have to have a 1747-UIC, which plusgs into the USB port. Throw the 1747-PIC in the trash, it is not compatible with Win XP and new laptop hardware. If the laptop doesn't have a serial port then you will also need a USB-Serial converter for RS-232 comms to the 5/03 and 5/04. You will need RSLogix-500 software to access the program, RSLinx Lite comes with the RSLogix-500 software.

Last edited: