Devicenet Communication with 1769-SDN on Micrologix1500

kiran

Hi,

I have AB devicenet card 1769-SDN with Micrologix1500. I am using this as a master. I would like to know what are the hard requirements to communicate with Devicenet Card using RSlinx.

Could I use the Serial port on the Micrologix to communicate with the devicenet card?

Thanks,
Kiran

My company is talking about using Devicenet as a standard on a planned expansion and I have zero experience with it. I am thinking about purchasing a DNET module for my Compactlogix 32E to familiarize myself with Devicenet. I have understood that I would also have to buy RSNetworx but the reply to this post mentioned upgrading to the 32 on 35E might make that unneccessary. Is this true? With a 32E can I use Devicenet without RSNetworx?

Hi smiller

Maybe I was no very precise, but software (RSNetworx )is still needed. I ment that it is possible to use L31 serial (or 32(5)E Ethernet or L32(5)C ControlNet) port to establish communication between RSNetWorks (to configure) and network.

The difference between using an SLC/MicroLogix with DeviceNet and using a ControlLogix product with DeviceNet is that the Logix-family processors allow you to connect to the network via the DeviceNet module in the controller (1756-DNB, 1788-DNBO, 1769-SDN) rather than requiring a separate interface to the network (1784-PCD, 1770-KFD).

I strongly prefer to have a DeviceNet direct interface available, in case I have to troubleshoot some configuration problem that requires me to disconnect the scanner from the network.

Newer A-B scanner modules also support a mode called "Auto-Configure" that allows them to create scan lists of simple devices without RSNetworx. This is handy if you are only using simple, non-configurable I/O blocks.

In most cases, though, you need RSNetworx for DeviceNet. It will run without activation for the first six nodes (which I've used to download scanlists to scanners at Node 0, in a pinch) but generally you need a license. Many users get the RSNetworx license in a bundle with RSLogix 5000.