Need some advice

JeffB

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hell everyone.

I am a controls engineer working for a company thats builds costumized automated packaging equipment. We have a $500K job for a customer that has been very good to us in the past. I will be using Modicon controls along with a Cutler-Hammer panelmate on this machine.
As written in the contract, the costumer will be supplying all of the Modicon hardware, along with Concept V2.6 programming software.
Now on to my problem. I asked the costumer to send me the programming software so that I could start working on the project. Instead of sending Concept, I received an old copy of Proworx Nxt.
I have zip for experience working with Modicon stuff. I do have a lot experience using PL7 for Telemechanique (sp?) though. I was hoping that Concept would be something similar to PL7, so I wouldn't have such a learning curve ahead of me.
I am looking for some input here as to what I should do. Should I stick to my guns and insist I receive a copy of Concept from them (it is specifically in the contract), or just suck it up and use the antiquidated stuff they sent (I am not even sure Proworx Nxt will work with XP pro).
I don't mind at all having to learn new software (yet another feather in my cap) but I find it hard to have to master programming software that is not even being sold by Schneider anymore.

Any thoughts on this one guys?

By many, NXT is considered stable compared to Proworx 32, so you shouldn't be bothered with s/w bugs. I've used it on XP pro and don't recall any problems.

You didn't mention what communications will be with the PLCs; Modbus or Modbus+. If Modbus+, be aware you'll need to buy a networking card and cabling for your laptop. I don't recall the product (its back at the office) but your local distributor should be able to help.

I use Proworx NXT with XP-pro and I have not had any problems.

However, Proworx ONLY supports 984 LL language. If you are using a Quantum PLC, you might want to insist on Concept so you can have access to other '1131 languages.

sorry , can't help it but.....

"Costumized" - does that mean that the panel goes out in fancy dress ?

If the owner wants to use Concept software for his future diagnostics or modifications then you should insist on Concept. If the owner's specs or contract clearly state Concept, you should insist on Concept.

ProWorx is still sold, and I think you can import 984 software from ro-Worx into Concept. Pro-Worx only supports 984 ladder, but that is a fairly mature platform.

Since you don't have any Modicon experience it probably isn't a cost factor for you, but if you are familiar with function block or other languages your programming time in Concept will be less. If the customer expects you to maintain the software in Concept then you should insist on it.

Did the customer offer an explanation? Maybe this is a low level clerical error. Before getting huffy, you might just ask a few questions.

I would also suggest to raise this with the customer.
After all, a mistake has been made, but where?
They may have sent you the wrong software by mistake.
They may have specified the wrong software in the contract by mistake and have to issue you with a formal variation.
They also may not have purchased Concept yet, and may not realise how different it is from NxT.

You should get to the bottom of it first, this will avoid finger pointing and souring relations later.