Solid Level Density Measurement sensor, need advice

Martindag

Hey guys,

We have a metal container at work, we fill with saw dust (20fts x 15fts x 10fts)
with the top open but we normally put a container cover sheet over it to avoid the dust to fly around or the rain to get inside.
That container need to be picked up twice a week also.

I'm looking around if there was any level measuring sensors that could read the density of that container and ignore that cover sheet on the reading.
The sensor would be fixed on a structure outside and not the container itself to avoid removing it everytime its full.

I wish to use that measurement and add it to a PLC/HMI inside the factory for my operator to see that Level and do some alarm when its getting too full.

If you guys have any good suggestion, or anything else that would do the same job or even better, please let me know thanks !

I would think that any kind of optical sensor would have problems in a dusty environment. Can you just put a load cell under the container and start alerting at a certain weight?