Protool RT

tutichip

Did you know.....
If you have RT installed on your PC , and an application running on a multipanel , you can run RT without having to change MPI address- (in this case I have MPI as 4 for both the MP and the RT project ) the MP is connected through the MPI port , and the laptop through a 5511 on the profibus port which is for programming and drives etc .
I was surprised to see that the DP port seemed to simultaneously support MPI ( i know the protocol is the same) at the same time and reassign the MPI address to profi DP ( I assume this is what happens - will find out tomorrow )
in any case , both applications run together.

tutichip said:
Did you know.....

Yes, I did know this. I don't know the in's and out's, or the how's and why's, I just know it works. You can also monitor a VAT table and an FC (or other block) online at the same time. All three work quite happily together.

Paul

I knew about the rest. As I have assigned 0 as the 5511 address , I suppose thinking about it it is not surprising as no matter what address protool requires , it has to use the I/F settings of the 5511 card .

I think that the "reason" why it works that way is that you possibly had STEP7 running online allready. STEP7 then sets and holds the parameters of the CP5511 card.

If Protool RT starts alone, then I think that it initially will try to set the parameters of the card that is assigned to S7ONLINE.

You can investigate by opening the Set PG/PC Interface utility and see what it is set to while STEP7+ProtoolRT is running, and what it set to when ProtoolRT alone is running.

It is possible that a requirement for it to work is that the online CPU must have the same MPI and DP node addresses (which they will be if they are set to the default "2").

Me said:
You can also monitor a VAT table and an FC (or other block) online at the same time. All three work quite happily together.

Perhaps I should clarify what I have written there.

I meant that you can have protool RT running at the same time as monitoring the VAT and FC. This is something I do often when commissioning and testing.

Paul

Even without S7 running , it does its thing . I do know what you are getting at though , with S7 "forcing" the coms path , but it works without S7 .