Directsoft question

BoxerBrats

Ok on my programin one section everytime a motor is selected to hand on the touchscreen, it will light up a indicator light showing hand. The output to the touchscreen for the indicator light, is in parrallel with the output to the motor. So basically it is addresses around 60 times. having multiple outputs with the same address, will this present a problem....

hopefully I described it good... :unsure:

Having multiple outputs with the same address almost always present problems. There are some exceptions such as "set" and "reset" or "latch" and "unlatch".

I'm not quite clear on your question. Please try to post some of the ladder logic.

Are you trying to use the same "hand" indicator for 60 different motors? Are 60 individual hand indicators being used in different places for 1 motor? Is the "hand" indicator light the same as the motor running light?

In any event each indicator light probably should have its own unique address.

Last edited:
Based on your explanation, this is how I see it:

| HAND
|----] [----+----------( MOTOR 1 )
| |
| AUTO |
|----] [----+

And you're saying that you parallel the indicator with the motor, so you have:

| HAND
|----] [----+-----+----( MOTOR 1 )
| | |
| AUTO | |
|----] [----+ +----( INDICATOR )

You said that the hand indicator is addressed multiple times, which I see as:

| HAND
| | |
| AUTO | |
| HAND
|----] [----+-----+----( MOTOR 2 )
| | |
| AUTO | |
etc. for 60 motors

This is a no-no, as the hand indicator will only show the status of the LAST motor in the ladder... :(

Please clarify how your program looks, as I'm betting it doesn't look like what I show above... ;)

🍻

-Eric

P.S. to Phil... Can we have the old editor back? Please?

Eric Nelson said:

P.S. to Phil... Can we have the old editor back? Please?

It's still there Eric. From your profile choose 'edit options' and then choose 'standard editor' at the very bottom.
Enjoy,

yES THE LAST EXAMPLE IS VERY CLOSE TO WHAT i HAVE.

so will this work like below?
| HAND

| | |

| AUTO | |

|----] [----+ +----( SET C100 )

| HAND

|----] [----+-----+----( MOTOR 2 )

| | |

| AUTO | |

|----] [----+ +----( SET C100 )

this will continue for 60 motors

HAND RESET
|----] [----+ +----( RST C100 )

Phil Melore said:
It's still there Eric. From your profile choose 'edit options' and then choose 'standard editor' at the very bottom.
Enjoy,
WooHoo! 'Preview' doesn't ruin my ladders anymore!... :cool:

Side note: The 'standard' editor doesn't use a fixed width font, so ladders can take a few shots to get the spacing right. Any chance of changing this? In any case, it survives a preview, so I can live with it... :nodi:

Thanks, Phil... :site:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Joe,

Using set and reset would alleviate the 'last rung wins' problem, and will work fine, but I don't particularly like this approach.

One question... What prevents the HAND indicator from illuminating when AUTO starts the motor? IOW, with your ladder, the HAND indicator could actually be called "MOTOR(S) ON".

I assume there's an individual HAND bit for each motor? If so, one idea might would be to make all the HAND bits sequential, and compare a few words to zero to turn on the indicator.

Let's say the HAND bits were C100 through C174. Words VC100 through VC160 would contain the word value of these bits. If any word is not equal to zero, then one or more HAND bits are ON. Use this to turn on the indicator.

| VC100 = K0
|------]/[------+---------( INDICATOR )
| |
| VC120 = K0 |
|------]/[------+
| |
| VC140 = K0 |
|------]/[------+
| |
| VC160 = K0 |
|------]/[------+

Of course, set aside C175, 176, and 177, since if they are turned on, the indicator would light.

🍻

-Eric