Online programming for SCADA, Possible?

ckchew666

Hi,

We've a project with a requirement that needs ONLINE editing for the SCADA (like RSView, Wonderware.....etc) While monitoring the plant or doing TrendX we can do modification to the graphics/tags of the project. Is this possible in just one workstations or with server/clients setup?

I know that RSView32 you need to stop the running project, do modification, saved it and run the project again.

Thanks.

Gerry,

Yeah, we can stop it, but once we stop the RSView (for example), the TrendX will stop as well, and during modification, operator cannot monitor/control the plant. Another example is if the modification is carry out and it's time to print the daily report, the report will not be print out because the RSView project has been stop. Others I do not have experience, that's why i'm posting here to see if there is a better solution?

Using Intellution, everything can be modified on line, including the database. However the data base must be reloaded after the modifications are made. This only takes a few seconds, but during that time you have no control. I think the only way you could avoid this is to have every possible tag already entered into the database, but that would require a huge license, and would be a lot of communication resources for tags you may never use.

The DCS systems are the only ones I've ever encountered that can accomplish what you want without a lot of up front work.

Ken

About WinCC, I know that you can modify the project in deveoping edition while the run time is online. After saving the modifications you just need to switch forward and backward between pages in run time to see the result.

In Wonderware, look at the options for "Running Distributed Applications". You can set the behavior of a View node to "Load Changes into WindowViewer" which:

Causes changes made in the development node to dynamically be loaded into WindowViewer. This may affect performance for large updates.

Marc

In our application, we have two servers with "behind the scenes scripting" to make them hot backup. When we have changes to make, we make them to one of the servers, change the respective clients to use the updated server, then convert the last remaining. This keeps us online able to control the plant.

You can make online changes with Iconics, The page updates next time the client uses that page or if its on the web, the client must refresh.

Thx for everyone's info, in my area here, Intellution, wonderware, RSView are more common scada software.

Based on ken's feedback, Intellution can do online modification, this means that if we just modify some graphics displayed, we do not need to STOP the project (Intellution keeps logging, trending, print reports) like RSView32 does, am I right? If modifying tags we need to STOP and RERUN the proj. If that's the case, then we'll propose Intellution to our cust.

You would not normally need to restart the entire Intellution Fix project after you have modified a tag. You would only need to reload the database as Ken stated above. Even this is not usually necessary as you can place the tag back on scan from the database manager under most circumstances.