PLC Legend or Loser

As the only programmer in our shop I can't point to anyone else when the program doesn't work. I sweat startups of new type machines or major revisions. Fortunately this is balanced by the reaction when a complex bit of control works. It's also fun with the customer inspecting their new machine and asking 'but could you make it do this?'. Pulling the change off with just a few keystrokes yields interesting reactions. It sure isn't boring.

Feast or Famine, Prince or Pauper!

How often is there thanks when it works, but if it doesn't...

I have been pretty fortunate, however a couple of times, I would be in the office writing code, wile the shop people or a project engineer would be adding or removing sensors or mechanisms from the machine. The only one I really got a lot of flack over, I was to have the machine up and running in a few days. No idea what changes would be done on second shift to change it. Naturally, the next morning, it could not function properly due to the changes. They did believe in the 24/7 concept, as in you work three shifts, job comes first, and don't even think of going home for supper. I don't buy thir tires anymore.

I was once told "you are only as good as your last project". I saw a guy with 20-25 years of Allen Bradley experience. Spent a month doing a GE Fanuc project. Was interviewed for an AB project, and was told, sorry, you don't have any recent Allen Bradley experience................

Oh Well!

regards.....casey

You maybe a success when it all goes right, but remember that nobody but you will remember those times.

Now when it all goes wrong...........well those are the times that everyone remembers and you'd rather forget.

As for only being as good as your last project, we have a saying around here.......... it wasn't me!

Yes I remember the times when you work three days straight, only to get a customer say "is that all it does then?" and I remember the times when sheer triumph can keep you going for days.
But what I cherish most is going home on time everynight, without a worry and telling the customer that they'll have to wait another day for a result. Those times are few and far between, but when you get them take advantage!!!

I learned a long time ago, one Awshit wipes out all your attaboys!

When it works I get my "Master of the Universe" feeling - I love it.

When it doesn't work I get my "You ^&)(&*$$ &*()^&*%, you aren't going to beat me!" feeling. Then I make it work. Then I get my "Master of the Universe" feeling anyway.

I'm not smarter than the PLC, but I do have more adrenelin!

I'm glad PLC's don't have patience. I'm also glad they don't have a stubborn streak that won't give up.
At least with these things in mind I know that 'eventually' I will win (or at least someone on PLCs.net will help me).

Originally posted by Tom Jenkins:

When it doesn't work I get my "You ^&)(&*$$ &*()^&*%, you aren't going to beat me!" feeling. Then I make it work. Then I get my "Master of the Universe" feeling anyway.

I'm not smarter than the PLC, but I do have more adrenelin!

I'm like Tom on this one. The worse things go the more focused and determined I get. It's kind of like football. Given reasonably similar capability the individual with the most attitude will win most of the time.

Wow, what does that say about the Packers' defense??

Keith

PLC programming provides a great buzz when it goes well. I've very rarely had the 'genius' feeling (I used to think I knew about PLC's till I found this forum!!) but I've certainly had that warm glow that you get from knowing exactly how the machine is operating and having the customer looking at it like its magic.

I think the swearing, tearing your hair out and general abuse that you give the PLC when you are struggling are what makes us all do this job. Let's face it.. if there was no challenge there would be no point...

:)

A guy who used to work at our plant programming in the data processing end of things also knew basic electrical machine control. He transferred to another company where he began PLC programming. He said to me that the rush in actually seeing your code causing a machine to do stuff was great and that he would never go back to just data processing programming.

bernie_carlton said:
...said to me that the rush in actually seeing your code causing a machine to do stuff was great and that he would never go back...

🍻 exactly my feelings 🍻

There is nothing like it, either way, when you press the button and it all works right, or when you stick to it and gruel through the night and then push the button the third, fourth, or fifth time (whatever it takes), and it works.

Is this a great career or what?