Ethernet Cable TroubleShooting

Mark Buskell

A lot of times I make my own ethernet cables. I plug it in between the computer and the processor and no communications, now I am left with a choice. Either one end is wired wrong or possible both ends. Most of the time it is a 50-50 chance and Murphy's law tells me that I will replace the good connector first.

Is there any electronic gizmo that I can buy to help in this situation?

Thanks for the quick reply Bob. Does this device tell me which end is bad or does it just let me know I have a problem with either continuity, open, shorted or crossed wire pairs.

Can you look at the color code?
I am color blind, but still can see these wires :cool:

Here is a standard sequence:
OR/W
OR
Grn/W
Blue
Bl/W
Grn
Brn/W
Brn

Mark,

It is numbered with lights that you can automatically cycle or manually cycle through each wire to tell if they are connected and which pin they are at.

There are two standard connection options for ethernet, TIA586A and TIA586B. Of these, the type B is the most common by a wide margin. In reality it makes no difference which one you use, just be consistent. A cross-over cable has one end wired "B" and the other end "A".

To make up connectors always look at the back (where the wire goes in) of the connector with the tab pointing down. Numbering is then 1 -> 8 left to right.

----------
| 1 8 |
---- ----
|-|

The color codes are:
Pin "B" "A"
1 OR/W GR/W
2 OR GR
3 GR/W OR/W
4 BU BU
5 BU/W BU/W
6 GR OR
7 BR/W BR/W
8 BR BR

p.s.why do you have to go back and edit the ]ladder[ after viewing?

Last edited: