How to create connection from PLC to VFD with ethernet cable?

setterwind

Hello, I've been trying to learn this a while now and still have not found out how this works. I have an Omron CJ2M PLC and an ABB ACS 355 VFD with Fena-01 adapter. I know that this is trying to control the drive by external device over a communication network through a fieldbus adapter which is different than controlling the VFD through digital inputs (DI1-6) which I am more familiar with. But now I don't know which parameters of the VFD is mapped to which address of the PLC. For example, I want to able to set the motor frequency that I want to run at on the touchscreen rather than setting it directly on the VFD. What address do I use on the PLC to set the frequency? is it the D area, W area, etc..

Thanks,

You first need to determine which communication protocol(s) are common to both the Omron CJ2M and the ABB ACS 335 (FENA-01 adapter). According to online documentation that I could find, both devices support the EtherNet/IP protocol (that is, ODVA's CIP - Common Industrial Protocol - over Ethernet).

You will likely need to configure some settings on the ABB drive. The ABB drive supports several EtherNet/IP profiles, each of which dictate what parameters are exposed to EtherNet/IP. You will need to determine which profile suits your needs. Refer to the FENA-01's documentation here (the EtherNet/IP details start on page 120):

Next you'll need to setup the Omron PLC for implicit messaging. You'll likely want to register the ABB drive's EDS file, which can be downloaded here (under the Links and downloads section):

These videos may be useful for how to setup the Omron PLC: